Tuesday, March 13, 2001

Clint and I were idly having our usual PC vs Mac conversation, started donkey years ago when we shared a cubicle....

We were talking about the Mac Dual G4 he had just purchased, a very nice machine - and the discussion turned to what I wanted, naturally.

JPennant: This is what Im jonesing for, by the way. :-)
McClint: too bad ya dont have an old 5300 that you could trade in for a G3 Powerbook
JPennant: hm? Why?
McClint: apple has a trade in program in place for a limited time. trade inyour PB 5300 + $1300(?) and geta G3 Powerbook
JPennant: a G3-500?
McClint: dont think its that fast. lemme see if i can find the page
McClint: http://www.info.apple.com/support/powerbook/5300upgradedetails.html
JPennant: 1600 bux. I could get my hand on a 190.. but eh. More monet than I wanna spend on a machine.
McClint: you could do it :-)
JPennant: Nah. I figure, right now.. poverty behooves me to get a G3-333 offa e-bay for 800 bux or less.
McClint: hehe yeah
McClint: you're really jonesin
JPennant: For laptops, yeah
JPennant: you know why I really want laptops?
JPennant: So I can write.
McClint: to type your blogs while sitting in the park?
McClint: hehehe yeah i figured
JPennant: I realized it when I had the Toshiba 7000CT for awhile
JPennant: I totally ignored the plentium. I just preferred the laptop over all else.
McClint: where would ya go to write?
JPennant: Anywhere I felt.
McClint: would whipping out a laptop on the subway be advised?
JPennant: I even did that too
JPennant: subway, planes, airport terminals, sofa.. didnt matter.
JPennant: The 7000 is a light, slim laptop
JPennant: made it easy to carry around and to use. Felt like a notepad.
McClint: yeah. i thought about an iBook cuz of the handle
JPennant: I would too, but that thing looks and feels like a toy.
McClint: bah!
JPennant: Heheh. Calm down.. nuttin against it, now :-)
McClint: :-)
JPennant: But Im a heavy duty user, so I need heavy duty machines
JPennant: but, until I had the Toshiba 7000, I didnt think of light laptops as heavy duty (eg: See piece o' crap Sony)
McClint: as long as it wont break while sitting on your lap
JPennant: Shoot. I abused that bad boy. :-)
JPennant: Literally. :-)
JPennant: Next time I'll get a laptop lining :-)
McClint: hehehe a wetsuit!
JPennant: heheh

Yeah. For some reason, it feels easier to write on a laptop.

Makes me feel like a more bona fide writer.

Laptops and a beret. Yeah.

Soon I'll be wearing black turtlenecks and chewing on nasty french cigarettes....

No comments: