Sunday, June 01, 2003

Sean Penn, the dumbass, ate here

Fred wanted me to entitle this entry thusly.

She treated me to dinner at Venus, a new place in Berkeley, where Sean Penn had his car stolen from in front of last month. Unfortunately, Mr Penn had left two pistols (one loaded) in the car.

One worker at Venus restaurant who missed all this activity was quite distressed.

"Sean Penn, and I missed it? Damn," he said. "It's like when I worked at the Gap and Christina Aguilera walked in. But it was my day off."



Well, he has great taste in restaurants, so we did a sitdown.

Man, I havent had a decent sitdown restaurant meal in a WHILE.

Fred, doing the Pose of the Tragically Hip for me...



Heh. Not being an inherently stupid person, she couldnt pull off the bored-with-the-world-too-hip-to-care look.


We tried. :-)

Cool shirt she had on, got it from LA






As we waited for that American/Asian/European fusion now referred as California cuisine, I enjoyed the golden California evening light.












Eventually. Some time later, the food arrived





Cuban pork brisket sammich fer Fred



And braised pork chops with basmati rice, crunchy peas and mango sauce. Not bad.

To support my supposition that half the Cali populace walks around high, the entre came after the course, as the waitress had forgotten the order entirely..





Scallop Salad

Actually, not bad. Sweet and tender. Not bad as a dessert.. :-p

Fred was getting a bit impatient with me taking pictures of the food...





The implements were gonna get used on me..



Nah. Not a bad afternoon.


---------
By the way, the owner/chef of the restaurant had been looking at me taking pictures, standing by the door to greet us as we left. I think she thought we were food reviewers.

Hm.. can you get free meals with that?





No comments: