Monday, December 29, 2003

Give it up

I got many gifts over the holidays. Mostly stuff to keep me warm. Gloves, wool caps, scarves, fleece vests.

Brand new stuff.

Im grateful, but... Too much stuff. I dont need it all.

Ive given a lot of it away.


"Dude, you have too much stuff to be homeless.." someone said to me recently.

He's right. I need to get rid of shit. Before Im on the move again.

And I have to be ruthless about it.

In a Previous Life, I had a lot of stuff. And I thought back then I was living La Vido Lightweight. Silly.

A few years ago, I realized I had Way Too Much Stuff, and endeavored to live the laptop life.

When I left Florida I had two suitcases, a duffel bag, a backpack and two laptop bags.

And I thought I had lightened my life's load. Hah!

Now Im down to two backpacks, and a large duffel bag.

I still have too much fuckin' stuff.

I have to be more ruthless.

Imagine this as your life's goal:

To have everything you need to live life as carry-on luggage. Not for a trip. Your daily life.

Every ounce becomes important, as you move around with it.

It can be done, Im here to tell you. But its hard, Im also here to tell you.

It requires eternal vigilance. And sometimes, your stuff disappears (hopefully nothing important like papers ID and whatnot), and it feels like a blessing.

A great benefit of lightening the load?

You make room for better stuff to come into your life.

Im here to tell ya. :-)
---
And no, we're not just talking about 'stuff'.

No comments: