Friday, December 27, 2002

Keeping a resolution

Every year, I make one resolution of self-improvement.
And I think Ive been pretty good at keeping them.

This years resolution, seemingly simple, has turned out to be the toughest of all.

To wit:

Im gonna try to be nicer to people and make more of an effort to make them matter.

I had realized then that I hadnt done enough to keep many of the good and influential friends Ive made over the years around.

I aint good at schmoozing and staying in contact.

In practical terms, they couldve helped me as I struggled to achieve my dreams.

As Rule # 3 of the 3 Priorities of Life is .. Take care of your friends as you cannot get anywhere without 'em.

Little did I realize that this year, that resolution would manifest itself as being so urgent and critical.

A small f'rinstance:
I went to a party on Christmas, and met (often without knowing just WHO I was talking to and promising to stay in touch) a bunch of folk high on the "OHMIGOD, I WAS TALKING TO *insert name of well known and accomplished folk here*" scale.

Heh, one pretty well known documentary film-maker shook my hand and said "Anytime you feel like it Joe, come on over to my house and we'll sit back and watch films, and we'll come up with things to do.."

OHMIGOD OHMIGOD OHMIGOD

And I met a lot of other folk. Maybe not as famous, but no less accomplished and cool.

My natcheral instinct after all that noise is.. to retreat to my shell and go wander the world alone, tossing the business cards and phone numbers to the winds.

Err, Joe - you may wanna read todays horrorscope if you havent clocked onto the significance of this years and last nights events...


VIRGO

The only danger today is that after the fun and games of the last few days, you will overreact and retreat into your shell.
That would be a shame because you have made a lot of new friends, and with them come new possibilities and new opportunities. Make the effort to stay in contact with people because you never know where new friendships might lead.



Whoo. Hokay.

This really isnt easy. But a resolution is a resolution.

Hm. I wonder what the next years resolution will be?

Im still working on this years...





No comments: