Thursday, September 06, 2001
- HotJobs.. where the hell have YOU been?
Unlike my old standby's of Dice.com, nynma.org and olde whatisface, there are actually RELEVANT effing listings innit.
Jeez. What recession?
Yeah, yeah - Im still not enthusiastic about looking for work and my resumes will prolly all fall to the ether - but, hey a nut is a nut. Is a nut. Cant get none without one either. :-)
- Mmmmm. Malasadas.
Can I get it without the granulated sugar, Sun? Or is zat required. Or should I be lookin' at zeppolis?
She made me realize.. I havent seen ANY filipino restaurants in NY. Is that right? Saw 'em all over in Chicago. Could get a panchit fix in an instant. Didnt appreciate it while I had it....
And I wonder if there are any inexpensive n' good Hawaiian places in Jersey?
*sigh* Gotta make the donuts if I want to eat out.. shit.
Dammit woman, now youve made me hungry.
Cant put 'em up. Dammit, they wont let me browse my picture directories on my host from a browser anymore. What kinda devil worship is this?
Wednesday, September 05, 2001
I stood outside the building Id just left on 42nd Street... my mind leaden with depressing thoughts about no money, silly people, apartment issues etc, etc.
I took a picture, then started walking to the Port Authority Building to catch a bus back to Joisey..
I stopped walking and half turned around, expecting someone to ask me directions or for money...
"You have toilet paper coming out the back of your pants." she said with a Jamaican accent.
After a pause, I reached back, found the foot long length tucked in with my shirt.. and busted out laughing.
The woman didnt expect THAT reaction.
Of COURSE New Yorkers wouldnt tell me whats up, they hardly ever do.
It only seems to be immigrant folk who do.
I had to laugh. :-)
I thanked the woman as I pulled the paper from my back, and she kept walking briskly with a 'no problem' thrown over her shoulder.
And with that, I felt better - my issues not withstanding.
Even with all the schtuff I had to deal with, I had a smile on my face all day.
I just needed a little lesson in perspective.
That was a good one. :-)
Tuesday, September 04, 2001
I was gonna say...
She gets onto the cover of I-D magazine, and poof....
There is a huge brouhaha going on about the fairytale, silver casket, glass carriage funeral ride that they had for her.
Yeah, personally - I felt it was all indeed over the top, done for less familial reasons...
But to the Post columnist who had some nasty things to say about it all.
Essentially, she wasnt..'worthy' ... for such a grand procession.
Who are YOU (or I, for that matter) to say they shouldnt have done it that way?
After reading the column - Im not so sure if Sharpton wasnt right when he cried 'racism' to the man's objections....
Only cuz winnie is keeping track and Im tired, loopy and highly suggestible right now....
1. What's one thing you wish you could do but can't? Play the piano, guitar and drums. (Something about being left-handed...)
2. What time of the day do you like to take a shit? The morning, as I like to get my day going with a shit, shower and shave. Then I feel Im ready for the day ahead.
3. What is your ideal marriage location? I dont know why, but the mountains come to mind, but since I dont think about it...
4. Which musical instrument do you wish you could play? Play well? Saxophone.
5. What's your favorite sexual position? Girl on top. :-)
6. Favorite fabric? Combed Wool.
7. Something you love and hate? Flying.
8. What kind of bedding do you use? Um.. pillows? Sheets? Blanket?
9. What kind of soap do you use? Dial AntiBacterial.
10. Do you tell your friends about your sex life? Nothing to talk about usually, and even if there is....
11. What's the one language you want to learn? Spanish. Dominicans specially, say I look hispanic... after they realize I DONT habla when I look puzzled as they yeng at me in spanish first.. automatically.
12. How do you eat an apple? Washed, stem plucked, unpeeled.
13. What do you order at a bar? Dark Beer
14. Have you ever pierced your body parts? No, no and no.
15. Do you have tattoos? No, no and no.
16. Would you ever admit to having done plastic surgery of any kind if confronted? Hm. To be honest, probably not.
17. What's one of the "funnest" things you've ever done? Scare myself silly by... Nah. Its still a Toyota Van, early morning, middle of downtown Evanston, Il...
18. Do you drive stick? And I have Clutch Leg to prove it. :-)
19. What's one trait you hate in a person? Dishonesty. Usually leads to other silly shit...
20. What's the soonest that you've slept with someone (or hypothetically)? Around a month I think.Too shy and chicken even when offered.
21. What kind of watch(es) do you wear? Timex and Casio.
22. Most frivolous purchase? Too poor for that nonsense. Heh, according to LilBro - buying my camera in Times Square ("You can tell us how much you paid... we're all family here..." )
23. Do you consider yourself materialistic? No, not really. I like the good things, but I dont care about keeping up appearances.
24. What do you cook the best? Rice and Jerked Chicken.
25. Favorite writing instrument? Fine Point Sharpies, Pilots and Uniballs. Oh yeah, and Cross pens for sentimental reasons.
26. Do you prefer to stand out or blend in? I try chill in the background, but stand out for obvious reasons..
27. Do you have anything monogrammed? Hell nah.
28. Would you ever go out dressed like the opposite sex? Hell No.
29. What's one car you will never buy? Any 2.3 liter Ford... thats the Pinto engine for the uninitiated.
30. Have you ever done drugs? Yes, dont like how they made me feel. I dont do 'em now for the same reasons I hardly drink.
31. What kind of books do you like to read? Working in a bookstore, and getting the chance to read many, many crappy books spoiled me of the pleasure. I only read for knowledge now...
32. If you won the lottery, what would you do first? Talk to my lawyer and accountant, right after dropping out of sight.
33. Burial or cremation? Cremation.
34. How many online journals do you read regularly? 15+.
35. What's one thing you're a sore loser at? Heh. I try to hide the fact that I HATE to lose, so I dont act like a sore loser.
36. If you don't like a person, how do you show it? I avoid them, and try to be polite if I cant. Somehow, they get the message anyway.
37. How many drinks before you're tipsy? Depends on the drinks. Usually 3 beers.
38. Favorite kind of p0rn? Most porn doesnt do much for me nowadays, although I like the creativity of good hentai. Oh yeah, and enthusiastic amateurs :-). But really - Eh.
39. Do you have problems changing clothes in front of friends? Yeah..
40. Do you cry in front of friends? Cant remember the last time I cried.. so no.
41. What kind of first impression do you think you give to people? Aloof, sloppy.
42. What's one thing you like to do alone? Going walkabout.
43. What's the worst thing you ever said to someone? "You're NOT a friend of mine." And I saw the man's face break in front of me.
44. Are you a giver or a taker? Im not gracious at accepting gifts, but Im having to learn now...
45. What have you stolen before? I dont now.. karma is a bitch Ive learned. (Last time, parts from a junkyard..)
46. When's the right time to go to the bathroom in front of your significant other? Only if it doesnt bother her. My dream house has a bathroom just for me.
47. Favorite communication method? Email.
48. What is one thing you don't leave home without? Camera.
49. How often do you have sex? *sigh* If I were rich and had no conscience..
50. What's the most painful experience you've ever had? Falling out of love, Id say.
Idle thought(s)..... cant be profound ALL the effing time...
The (internet unconnected) workstation @ home has the Prince - The Hits CD (the 'dirty' one) innit.
Everytime I boot up Quake, that CD kicks in as accompaniment. I find it not-so-incongruous to play a murderous marine to with "Little Red Corvette", "Raspberry Beret" and "Kiss" as background over machine gun fire and grenade explosions.
Anyway, Prince may be somewhat insane, but he happens to be one helluva songwriter, as Ive found many Gemini singers to be (even if youre not into hardcore rap, listen to Notorious B.I.G or Tupac sometime...).
Read the lyrics to the "Sign O' the Times" album sometime for evidence. The lyrics are incredible, even if it is one of his crappiest albums...
So, my little mind has been idly turning over some clever little phrases of his recently.Fer example:
"He told me several times
that he didnt like my kind
cuz I wuz
a bit too leisurely
I was busy
doing something close to nothing
different than the day before
And thats when she walked
oooh, when she walked
In through the Out door..
- Raspberry Beret
Heh. Ive oft been accused of being "a bit too leisurely.." and "busy doing something close to nothing"
"Would you run 2 me
if somebody hurt U
even if that somebody
- If I Was Your Girlfriend
Interesting that some folk see that verse as rendolent of abuse, when it seems as if it was meant as a question of trust.
And would I ask that of anyone?
Then again, sometimes folk dont know when theyre inflicting hurt..
"Would you run to me?"
Arent I too old for this? Feh.
And every time I hear the guitar screech this little ditty, I had to smile in memory of her. This is 'her' song...
She was dark - she was tan
She made me glad 2 be a man
She was young - she was smart
Just one glance and she stole my heart
The kinda girl U wanna teach
She's a peach
The hardriving break, then...
She was pure, every ounce
I was sure when her titties bounced
Every way she's a winner
Turn a gay preacher 2 a sinner
No one U want your mama meet
She's a peach
LilBro: You know, I doubt she ever really liked you...
Me: Hm. *mumble*
Thats prolly why this verse rang so true...
I would die if I kissed her
I would try, but I'm last on her list
She's so cool and I'm so ugly
I'd be a fool 2 think she could love me
This kinda girl's always outta reach
She's a peach
Heh. Yeah, she was a peach.
I think Prince is a romantic @ heart.
A freaky, *perverted* romantic - but one nonetheless. Cant tell me different. :-)
Just listen sometime...
Did the bridge and tunnel bit to show my face at the family homestead in Brooklyn..
(I really went there for a haircut, but shhhh...)
Hung with LilBro.
He makes me laugh.
When he was a kid, I'd to take him everywhere when he came to visit me in Chicago and Jacksonville (my high-speed...errr.. excursions are *still* legendary apparently).
He's not a kid anymore so we dont do that much nowadays, since he finds it incredibly boring to hang with me ALL DAY (he's a New Yorker AND a restless Sagittarian, oy).
He can take my 'dry humor' for only so long, he sez.. :-)
However, there are times when we do, kicking it for fun - even with his full schedule.
As I napped on Ma's couch, a TV trailer for the new Denzel Washington movie came on.
Wow. He looks like The Devil.
To paraphrase Muhammed Ali : "He's a BAAD man."
Ive NEVER seen him play a villian. Neither has LilBro, who - like most New Yorkers - is an extreme movie buff.
We looked at each other.. jaws agape...
Me: "Denzel? The Bad Guy? Oooooooooh, we have GOT to..."
Him: "... go see THIS mothafucka!!"
Yes we do. :-)
Primarily cuz I dont get to hang with my little brother much anymore.
Hey, an actual theme.. okie...
People look at me like Im daft when I take pictures of ads.
Because they are so impermanent.. specially here in the advertising capital of the world.
Fleeting works of art and commerce, as it were.
I particularly like the ads on the side of the phone booths.
I was trying to get a juxtaposition of Madonna's billboard ad, with the WonderBra ad, all over the Hallmark ad.
Sometimes you just CANT capture irony. :-)
Reading the blog of a regular (and itinerant) reader from OzDownUnder I didnt know I had...
all my friends who are stuck in jobs are all getting in contact now and envying my non conformist working class lifestyle, while i envy their bank balance ....... (you can interpret that anyway you like, but i believe in what i am doing, i just wish i had a trust fund to go with it....)
Yes, Yes YES
Although, from what they telling me about getting a REAL job so that I can take care of necessities and forget this itinerant life of mine - most of my friends arent envying me one iota.
ok. i want to post pictures, i want to create a web site, i want to learn a skill trade, i want to work from home, i need to be creative and i don't want to get head fucked by anyone, man or woman for a while thanks.
A good mindphuck leaves one senseless, doesnt it...
...... i want to have one or 2 summer flings, and fuck on hot afternoons and steamy nights, i want to be happy and carefree, go barefoot ....i welcome my spiritual partner into my life if they are ready yet (just in case they are) ...... i want to make some money, i want to feel on top of things so when the next disaster comes along (and there will be one) i can handle it better than ever before.....i want to drink more beer (than i currently am as i am broke) and i want to watch more sunsets.....i can do it all alone but would enjoy having someone to share it with.....
Well put, *from a peripatetic soul currently floating about sydney*.
Couldna said it better...
Although summer up here is almost OVER, dammit. :-)
Sunday, September 02, 2001
One unexpected snag Ive come across in explaining the concept of "Itinerant" ..
Im finding a dismayingly large number of people .. aka: ADULTS.. who dont know what the word 'Itinerant' means.
Even when I say "a wanderer, traveler", some still stare at the word soundlessly, trying to process the concept.
The Cappy, my business partner, suggested I make t-shirts with the definition on the back.
As Lissa and I were later chortling about the need to put an ironic definition of what seemed to be such an obvious term on a t-shirt, something bugged at me...
Maybe the term DOES need to be defined properly.
Yes, its true. "One who wanders and travels" does NOT capture the full scope of the term. It is not enough.
But I was at a loss to find words that did, and so did dictionary.com.
Hm. So, I check thesaurus.com and it gives me some nouns to chew on:
traveler, wayfarer, voyager, passenger
tourist, excursionist, explorer, adventurer, rover, straggler, rambler, gadabout, vagrant, wastrel, loafer; vagabond, nomad, bohemian, gypsy, pilgrim, peripatetic; emigrant, fugitive, refugee; globetrotter; hobo, night walker, walkabout, straphanger, swagman, trekker AND wanderer.
Yar. That's better.
Yes, "Itinerant" means ALL that. Every single word and the universes they convey.
I think the Cappy is right.
Instead of simply making a t-shirt with "Itinerant: i-tin-er-ant, adjective: one who wanders.", I think I need to do something a little different.
A lot different.
It needs more.
Mebbe the proletariat aint so obtuse after all.
And thank you, to everyone who have picked up schtuff from the Itinerant store... :-)
You guys rock. (I only say *that* for the folk I hold in extreme gratitude.)
The most popular item is the Itinerant ash-grey t-shirt.
(Wayne's World voice) Awriiiight. :-)
Thank you California, New York and Florida.
Things I might not say often enough....
This last year or so, when Im starting to feel selfish, whiney and angry which leads to periods of despair and panic - a voice in my head will go:
"Take a breath, give thanks, and move on."
And when I do, I get by.
No, Im not satisfied with my life - but Im not off track, no matter how bad it seems to get.
Especially when I remember to take a breath, give thanks and move on.
Thank you to my folk who give me support and remember me on my birthday as well as all the other days.
I often act like I need no one, but its the folk around me, near and far who help me get through.
Never mind my manners.
And of course, this does need to be said:
Man, I know its God's Annual Cosmic Joke to break the hearts (but never the spirit) of the ever-suffering Chicago Cubs fans..
But.. pleasepleaseplease.... this year...
Is a New York Yankees-Chicago Cubs world series.. that goes to seven games... too much to ask for?
I know we have about 10 teams to deal with and 30 games still to play...but pleasepleasepleaseplease.....
Consider it a Cosmic Joke that everybody will love?
Its sunday. What other excuse do we need for more Random Chit.. err.. Pix...
Ok.. the question ISNT "wha kinda perv is joe to take all those pictures of womens asses..", but "DAHYUM, how the hell did she get them jeans ON???"
(The proud answer to the first is "I will follow dat ass ANYWHERE.. Fellahs, can I hear a 'AMEN!' ")
It just seems beyond incongruous that you can get a russian language daily from a coinbox on 34th street.. even tho the New York area has russian folk everywhere you turn.
Shit, half the models in this town nowadays are from eastern europe..
There's much more to come, but my favorite of the night is this...