Tuesday, February 04, 2003

Shimmy shimmy yah, shimmy yah shimmy yay

It was more and less than I expected.

In my minds eye, downtown Oakland's famous daily morning Tai Chi tradition took place in a bucolic grassy park with a group of about 30 folk participating in loose-fitting white tai-chi uniform garb.

I was expecting to take artistically verdant scenes in the golden california morning light.

Uh, no.

It takes place in a concrete-paved public plaza of Oakland's county government, and as a resident put it "Its just regular folk in regular clothes getting together and doing their thing 365 days a year.".

However.

7am and more than 200 people in various groups doing assorted tai-chi exercises, is still a damned impressive scene.

I dont think I captured it all properly (my soul has been in a foul mood lately).. but I tried.































































Heh. This guy spent twenty minutes trying to show me how to get started in tai-chi.

After that, my knees told me I was no match for the grannies and the papi's in the plaza.

No comments: