Friday, June 10, 2005

Once a geek ...


As a kid, before I'd even learned to drive, I was a car geek. I devoured back issues of Road & Track, Car & Driver, Motor Trend, AutoCar, Autoweek, CAR. My monthly copy of C&D would come, I would relax on the *ahem* throne and optically inhale the thing from masthead to classifieds.

Hell, at the age of 13, I could recite the specifications of a Bristol 602's ELECTRICAL system, never haven seen the car in my life.

I was also an airplane geek. I knew aviation backwards and forwards, able to name almost everything from Splads to Hinds and everything in between. I read the massive Jane's Aviation Annual tomes for FUN.

Christ.

In college, I wondered why I was so into the Beau - so I became an Astrological Geek. I dove into the deep end there.

My computer Geekdom, didnt really kick in until my mid to late 20's. My First computer, I built, ending one day when I realized I had FIVE computers in my house. (Oh wait, i have four now, but only one is operational, so I feel Ive cut back.)
As you can see, when something catches my fancy, I dive in deep. If not, Im ever so lackadaisical.

I geek out.

Now, I realize Im a camera geek.

I wouldve been one much, much earlier... but photography had been an expensively disgusting habit, I couldnt afford to dive deep. And although the affordability and accessibility of digital has resparked my early interest, the high cost of good cameras, lenses and other accoutrements has kept me from really getting into it.

Today. It was today that It dawned on me that I am indeed a camera geek, because I saw a chica reading a Canon 20D manual. That was my entre for a convo. Man, i lit up.. and tho I can sociable, Im rarely THAT sociable unless I know the person.

I couldnt help myself.

You know - it might currently be kool and somewhat hip to call oneself a geek, but I dont think anyone REALLY wants to be a geek.

Frankly, I dont really want to be one either.

No comments: