Friday, August 23, 2002

A Persistent Observation

The farther north up the west coast you go, the word 'espresso' becomes ever pervasive.

You will see it in the most inappropriate of places.

A dusty road stop will have a small espresso stand. A farm promising chances to handpick fresh cherries will also have a sign in 10-foot point red paint"ESPRESSO". (No, I shit you not, I saw this on the side of a barn.).

From mid Oregon on, swing the proverbial cat (or fish) by the tail and you will be able to hit your triple expresso fix with ease. No matter how many stoplights are in the town youre in.

Surreal.

Now, heres the kicker. Go south, and taco stands, mariscosas stores and burrito places now become more and more common.

Taco Dell, Taco Joe and others far outnumber Taco Bell.

Go south past the redwood forests of south Oregon and Northern California - you can swing a cat and get your favorite taco, burrito and maricosas in every town. By the time you hit SF and points south, its just about every other block.

im not sure why I find this interesting.

But I like it. :-)
-------
My god the ride up and down US 101 was beautiful.

I can see having to explore it during the seasons. To get images of the coast, the land, the sky, the details.

But I gota be careful. I cannot forget there is a whole wide country away from this, and I need to revisit it often.

Its all about balance.




No comments: