Thursday, August 08, 2002

Taciturn.

When my mom first came to visit me in Chicago..

She looked at the broad expanse of Lake Michigan and said "Thats not a lake, thats the sea!!"

I said .. "No ma, thats indeed a lake."

Now that I reflect.. she was right. Any body of water that big is indeed a sea.

I got chilled last night with the wind coming off the Lake, trying unsuccesfully to get a good southward shot of the downtown Chicago skyline.

Gah.

I knew it was gonna be a challenge, but I didnt realize it was gonna be the kinda challenge where the steady wind would knock me off balance to spoil my shots.

Normally, Im good enough to catch long lens, low exposure shots with a handheld... but this had me yearning for a good heavy tripod.

Shit.

Plus, I tried to get a shot from Lincoln Park. Not the right place, as treez I never remembered have grown along Lake Shore drive to obscure some of the landmarks.

Shit. Shit.

And Im aiming to leave tomorrow.
------------
"Why dont you like Chicagoans, Ma?"

"I dunno.They seem so unfriendly."

"Unfriendly?? Nah. Ma, you live in New York.. you should be used to unfriendly people."

"I dunno Joey.. they just seem so unfriendly."

"Nah ma. They just dont know who you are. They want you state your business and thats that. Once you know them, they stay your friends for life."


She was right though. After wandering around, trying to engage people in conversation like I do in NY (where EVERYBODY'S got an opinion) I got The Look.
They werent up for extended chit-chat. Now I understand what my Ma went through those years ago.

The word is 'taciturn'.

But they WILL stay your friend for life.

LATE last night, after wandering North Clark Street for my favorite mexican food of memory (El Famous Burritos by Clark and Touhy.. found it. *uuuurrrrp*) I stood on the Howard Street El train platform bracing against the autumnal feeling wind off the lake..

I felt a hand on my shoulder and a familiar nigerian-accented professorial voice went "You back from Florida, Joseph?"

"GEORGE!!!!"

More grey, a little more wight.. but the same person. :-)

George Dzikunoo isnt the hugging type but the reception was warm and hearty nonetheless...

And its been like that these last few days. Taciturn, but warm recognition.

They do stay your friends.

Thats why Im a Chicago boy.

No comments: