Wednesday, October 02, 2002

The Accomodating Sort

I consciously designed my original site for my pal Poo.
Poo at the time was running a Powerbook180, Nutscrape 3.0, black and white screen, 20 megs of RAM with a 14.4 modem in the wilds of CanuckLand. I designed it so she could at least see the site with what she had.

Now, she's got a mighty Pentium with hispeed DSL in the wilds of CanuckLand. And with 90 percent of the readers having hi-speed connections, eh - I figure most folk should be able to load the site in 30 seconds or so.

So now, if you are connected with a dialup modem, and running browser below version 5.. well.. *shrug*

After a few folk bitched and complained made gentle suggestions that 2 months worth of photos was kinda much, I reduced it to show 14 days (cause there are people who like to check the site once a coupla weeks or so, and scroll back.).

However, I still heard some nasty grumbling mild complaints.

I mentioned that I didnt give a damn was highly unconcerned.

But today:

JPennant: yo clint
McClint: howdy
JPennant:

Hi, Joe!

I'd like to be reading your weblog, but 200 or
so images on one page really is very slow to load.
Any chance of moving some of the older entries to
an archive page?

Anita R.



McClint: i concur
McClint: i've put my comments in the suggestion box on a few occasions
JPennant: Did I not respond after much grumbling by reducing the size??
McClint: yeah i think ya did
JPennant: Has she suffered like the rest of you guys to be demanding this tho?
McClint: i dunno about that
JPennant: I thought I had done good by reducing the posts to 14 days
McClint: at work it took a full 5 minutes to load the pix under OSX and MSIE 5
JPennant: 5 minutes????
McClint: yup
JPennant: Dude, It takes me 30 seconds
McClint: and the weird thing is that it started to load them from the top of the page but then after about the 10th pic, it started loading them from the bottom
JPennant: iCab?
McClint: i was using 10.2 and MSIE 5.2
JPennant: What about Nutscrape?
McClint: that never even loads your page at all
JPennant: Hrmm
JPennant: If it werent a legit request, Id ignore it
JPennant: but I think the demand should come from the senior members of "Ive suffered reading joes stuff for more than 3 years"
McClint: HAHAHA
JPennant: I think I'll put it up to a vote. Although this aint no &$@#$@!# democracy
McClint: hehehe


Hokay, fine.
I dont wanna do a photogallery, but I will consider reducing the amount of posts on the page.
Put a dollar in the cup, and tell me if ya want me to reduce the size of the page.

JPennant: Blogspot is down anyways
gabz: must be all your images.
gabz: j/k.
JPennant: *kekeke* touche

If I hear nuthin, I will do nuthin.



No comments: