Sunday, October 27, 2002

Car Culture

Clint is restoring his first car, his '74 VW Bug..

JPennant: Heh. As Ive gotten older, the joys of car restoration dont appeal to me anymore.
McClint: my bug is the longest commitment i've ever had
McClint: i've had that car 13 years
JPennant: In my dream house, I'll have a fully equipped double length garage bay with 2 doors
McClint: DAMN SKIPPY!
McClint: but I couldnt afford any of those houses I found
JPennant: Id build it
JPennant: make it a detached coach house
McClint: i've eyeballed where I want it built on my property already
McClint: but that's a big time expense that will have to wait until i get a few thousand into my house first
JPennant: yar
McClint: even identified the plants that would have to be dug up
JPennant: mmm...professional grade coated floor, catchment drains
JPennant: It would even have its own shower and head, eh :-)
JPennant: and a degreasing station
McClint: with an attached bathroom with urinal
JPennant: YEAH!
McClint: with obligatory flatscreen plasma TV and DVD/VCR so you can watch the instructional shows/tapes while you work on your project du jour
JPennant: heehee. Nah, too fancy for me.. it would be a used hotel TV mounted high
McClint: well the plasma screen is truly a "wish" item but ya gotta at least have a large TV
JPennant: you know though, youre right
JPennant: there has gotta be a research/manual station
JPennant: even if its only a workbench with a shelf with an old high stool
JPennant: manuals, parts catalog, maybe an old terminal covered in plastic
McClint: yup
JPennant: Round it out with a car lift and engine stand/lift.. and thatd be cool
McClint: ahhh yes
McClint: why dont they ever pick my lotto numbers?
McClint: *sigh*
JPennant: I know


California is truly a car culture. I still find it amazing I can have intense car buff discussions with almost anyone off the street.

I see cars of all ages and descriptions kept running that have all but disappeared in other states.





























Hmm.. Im missing a few images..

Eh. More on this later.

No comments: