Monday, January 27, 2003

John's Doe

The young girl replied, seemingly tangentally, when I told her someone had actually paid me to give them a shoulder massage:

" There are three main ways most people around here make money..
the Sex industry, the drug industry and the healing arts. "


I remembered that later as I walked up University Avenue toward the Berkeley hills late one night..

"Hey. Hey. Hey. HEY. HEY!!"

I kept walking and ignoring, as there is no reason for anyone to try to get my attention unless theyre trying to cadge some cash. (Except for that lady a few nights ago who WAS trying to get my attention so that I would call 911 and tell them a Sign in the Downtown Berkeley Walgreens had caught fire.. but thats a story and pictorial for another time.)

After, literally, the 11th 'Hey' I stopped. Anyone this persistent must have something important..

"Hey." she said when she caught up with me. She smiled that beatific California smile, showing yellowed, but straight teeth. She mustve been in her late 40's or early 50's, with patrician looks and straight combed grey hair.

I didnt answer except to ask "What?".

She smiled the beatific a bit broader and said..

"Do you want a date?"

Inwardly I raised an eyebrow. Outwardly I kept the stone on and replied..

"No dear. I dont need a 'date' right now."

"Oh", she responded without losing the smile.. "Then, can you spare some change?"

As I walked away, I thought she was probably well-educated, likely a Berkely alumni, a product of the middle class - who was surviving by turning tricks late into the night.

In New York and Miami, Ive met phD candidates who arent shy, although they ARE discreet, about how they make their income.

Ive met a few here, who when asked what it is they do for a living answer vaguely "Office work, designer, Im starting a business etc etc" and refer to their customers as 'clients', but because Berkeley and the East Bay is a community where everyone is linked to each other by only a few degrees.. I already know about the truth before I ask.

As the young woman had continued:

"..and here, sometimes they do all three.."


Aha.

No comments: