Sunday, March 23, 2003

How are we supposed to act?


..while it's impossible to spend every minute of the day feeling somber, it also feels uncomfortable to carry on normal life, filled with things that now seem so frivolous.

"On Our Best (Wartime) Behavior"
- Bridget Harrison
NY Post
March 23, 2003



----------
Sundays, my routine over the last 15 years or so, has been to read the NYTimes Vows section (guilty pleasure), flip through the Sunday papers, real and virtual, when there is a TV, catch Unca Kuralt's program CBS Sunday Morning (I know he's dead and disgraced now, but I still hear his voice even when Bill Moyer is hosting), even though now it comes on at 6am Pacific Time instead of 9am Eastern.

In New York, it would be the NY Post, NY Daily News, in Jersey it was those and the Newark Star-Ledger - bolstered by the ubiquitous coffee and donut.

This sunday morn, I check the War news and the stories of diaspora - a sick feeling in my stomach that I hope will go away.

Hard to concentrate when there are paradigm shifts coming, the knowledge that everything is never going to be the same again. The pictures I take will be quaint relics in only one generation.

I try to flip to the NYPost, but the behind the times news and boosterism seems out of date.

Is it the times, or is it me?

Im just kinda hoping I can return to the simple pleasures of Sunday Mornings, wherever I am.



---------
Apart from Pammy and Julez (and people mewling for free or near free computer repair services), my mailbox has been swinging in the winds.

Even the spammers seem to have cut back (cept for one or two).

Granted the drought goes both ways, as I havent sent out many missives or dawgspam myself.

Naw, Im not guiltripping for messages.



---------

On my now infrequent walks, the streets of Berkeley, although not always a beehive of activity - has seemed strangely empty.

Except for sirens, going in response to People Misbehaving on Principle, everything seems awful quiet.

But I now find myself lurking to silence on the IRC #writers channel, it also strangely silent.. people from Norway to New Zealand to North Carolina not showing their inner thoughts.


No comments: