Wednesday, October 15, 2003

Preparing for the worst

or
Baseball is like life
or
Loving a drunken suspect
or
I WANT them to prove me wrong


"The Marlins are going to win tonight."
"What??? I thought you were a Cub fan."
"I am."
"Man, Im a diehard A's fan.. I would NEVER hope that my team is going to lose. I will always expect them to win."
"Me too. Florida is going to win."
"You mean you WANT your team to lose????"
"I didnt say that. You dont get it. Im a Cub fan. "
(Other person) "Ohh, I get what he's saying. He's using reverse psychology. He wants his team to win, but he's not going to say it."
"Exactly."
"No no no, that doesnt make any sense. Why would he want his favorite team to lose?? I would NEVER say that."
"YOUR team has won several World Series. Mine hasnt in 95 years. Generations of Cub fans have had their heart broken in innumerable ways, innumerable times.
I dont expect much anymore.."
"I cant believe you want your team to lose."
"I dont. But Florida is going to win..."
"Man, youre making no sense."


He obviously has never seen generations of grown men cry.


No comments: