Monday, November 03, 2003

Apropos of nuthin'

Perfessor, Undercover, The Journalist, FBI, Cha-Ching...

My new nickname is "Paper Man" as I appear each morning at The Hangout Spots with a minimum of 2 daily papers and the Wall Street Journal under my arm.

The guys then hand me a cup of steaming coffee, as they know Im ever so slightly cranky without it.

Last night I walked through the wind and cold with the LA Times and a loaf of challah bread under the arm (*pshaah* I dislike french bread and the other crusty crap they favor in this town, Im a sucker for egg breads).

(An aside: This town feels like Lady and the Tramp Land. I swear, if I see the guy delivering Italian bread in the mornings, he hands me a loaf gratis, all because I once said I love the smell coming from the delivery truck. Or the daily SF Chronicle or Oakland Tribune given to me the delivery drivers, who have gotten to know me. And in this town of gourmet eateries, Ive eaten very very well, as Ive gotten to know the natives who know me by name.

It pays to wander around and chat to people.

I said Im anti-social, but Im also quite sociable when I care to be.)


Anyway, as I walked past Au Coquelet, bread and paper under arm, with no intention of stopping, I glanced over and saw Mira who waved me on in.

Some people go to the coffee shop, conversate, study, play chess, read. She relaxes by making art. Heh.

She bought me coffee, lovely girl that she is (I owe her) and we sat back and complemented each other in business and pleasure.

Ive said more than once, that a primary reason for coming to Cali was to meet people. I have.

Some good, some bad, all interesting.

And so it goes.
---
MiraMira paid me a compliment, among the many that she does...

"Your pictures all seem to be about little things, but theyre not..."

Reminds me of that quote by Jon Karatt-Zinn
"The little things? The little moments? They arent little."

No, theyre not.



No comments: