Saturday, November 20, 2004

Hunter, gatherer, skinflint

Last night
, i was hugging an almost new microwave home on the N line streetcar, then a second trip with some Ikea rugs and small folding tables and frames.

Heh, 5 bux for all that schwag. :)

This is the way to do it.

Granted, this is the HARD way to do things.

My mom was the queen of leftovers and frugal living. Ma knows how to make a dollar stretch.

I had no idea what 'frugal' meant. I used to think that meant get the best deal and not spend money if you can avoid it.

Heh, I was such an amateur.

For ma, it was years of supporting 5 kids, her mother and assorted relatives on a secretary's salary. She didnt take any shortcuts.

To this day, me and lilbro marvel as how she would come home on her shopping day carrying bags fulla stuff, heavier than her almost. ;)

I worked with a guy back in the 80's who supported his wife and kid and a cadillac on 7 bucks an hour as a hospital orderly.
To this day, I can only imagine how he could do it.

Now, i have an inkling. An inkling.

I was never really a spendthrift by nature. Im a virgo, after all, and I insisted on getting good value for my money.

Now, i realize, my thinking was screwy.

I thought all I had to do was make a lot of money, spend as little of it as possible, save some - and things would be good.
I oculd live my life any way i wanted.

Found out it isnt that wasy.

I read The Millionaire Next Door and Rich Dad, Poor Dad and other financial attitude adjustment books.. took the advice within to heart.

Found out it isnt that easy.

A process, a system, a philosphy.

Found out it isnt that easy.

It in fact, requires discipline, patience, a recognition of what's really important..

But most of all ..

Humility.

And then that's when it starts.
======
Lets see, what else...toaster oven.. rice cooker...

JPennant: Hey mr b, you have a rice cooker?
misterB: yes, but of course i got one
JPennant: hehe
JPennant: im gonna look at one tomorrow..
misterB: is it a sealed one, or just a loose lid?
JPennant: umm, i think a loose lid
JPennant: itrs too cheap to be a sealed one
misterB: yeah, i had one of those.. the one with a locking lid works so much better
JPennant: ok
misterB: yeah, you just have to watch it closer so it doesn't burn
JPennant: really
misterB: yeah, definitely better rice cookers
misterB: since the lids not sealed, it can dry out and burn
misterB: the sealed lid kind can sit for hours on warm
JPennant: oh yeah?
misterB: but the other kind will dry up if you let it
JPennant: ahhh

misterB: oh, back to the rice cooker... if you like to eat brown rice, the sealed one does a great job on brown.. makes it much softer than any other way
JPennant: oh cool!
JPennant: but i still gotta soak it before hand?
misterB: i dont, and it still comes out great... just add a bit more water
misterB: it's almost like a pressure cooker, so it softens up those tougher husks
JPennant: can i add like my own ingredients to the mix too right?
JPennant: like i love butter, garlic rice
misterB: sure. you'll probably just have to make adjustments on the liquid
JPennant: ok
JPennant: can i cook other things in the rice cooker?
JPennant: steam vegetables and such?
misterB: hmm, possibly. might be a bit tougher with the "less expensive" models though
JPennant: i guess I can have more than one rice cooker :-)

JPennant: Im gonna prowl the thrift stores and see if i find any
JPennant: i dont wanna spend over 10 or 15
JPennant: i figure I'll get what I want if im patient and determined :-)
JPennant: its not just about the money
misterB: nod










No comments: