Friday, November 12, 2004

Verboten

A couple of years ago, i took some pictures from the top of the Bayonne Bridge.

Soon, a bunch of Port Authority cops screeched up, lights blazing, asking what I was doing.

That was before 9-11.

Now, except for the Brooklyn Bridge I believe, you cannot take pictures of the bridges of new york.

While at the Port Authority Bus station late in 2001, taking pictures, a cop warned me that taking pictures were very verboten. Taking pictures of the 9th street PATH station in the Village, i was told that was forbidden by a cop parked out front, and FOLLOWED down into the tube to make sure I didnt.

You cannot take pictures of sensitive structures in NY.

Even without a camera, I plan images wherever i go, and it bothers me that I have to judge a photograph by what i am allowed (or not) to take.

Here in tourist-oriented San Francisco, its nowhere near as intense - but there are definitely no pictures zones. Many of the places I go, like the subway tunnels, BART stations, federal buildings (and considering a good portion of san Francisco is still federal property - even though its rarely marked as such) et al, are off limits. Ur if not off-limits, will subject me to scrunity.

Fun.

Still gotta take pictures tho..
------
The Peterson jury did the right thing.

Every time I go by the Berkeley waterfront where the bodies washed, a stunningly beautiful view of the Bay .. it just saddens me.

Justice has been served.




No comments: