Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A trip back

For the first
time in nearly a year, I went across the Bay to Berkeley.

In a way, going to Oakland & Berkeley from San Francisco is akin to travelling between New York to New Jersey. It really isnt that big a deal, as you can cross over the water by bridge, rail, water or bus - and thousands of folk do it daily. But its a barrier and it tends to keep people on their side of the water. Physically and mentally.

In any case, Id meant to go - but could find no compelling reason to make the time or effort. So for the New Year I went to get some ice cream at the Cold Stone Creamery in Berkeley. And go see the place I lived for such a long time.

Interestingly, I went to see the place, but I also got closure.

Not on Berkeley itself, but on people things, ideas. I went by where I had met and hooked up with leGirl, realised the place might be the same, but without her presence, eh.

And with that, a lot of my nostalgia went *poof*.

Time does give you time. Heh.

I sat back with a hard cider, sipped, read and thought.

Thats also when I realised how conducive Berkeley is to thinking, Sounds trite, but it is. The collegial pace, the intellectuals, the students - its a lot different flavor than San Francisco. More peaceful frankly.

For a place that I felt trapped in, I kinda liked being there.

In any case, it was a good little trip. I should do it more often.

No comments: