Saturday, November 11, 2006

Making a list...

Going
through my music made me think of the tunes that make me jump and shout. Guaranteed.

I think this is my top list in no particular order:

Got To Be Real - Cheryl Lynn


If i could wake up to one song every day for the rest of my life, this is it.

Sarah, smile - Hall and Oates


This song alone qualifies Hall and Oates as one of the pre-eminent R&B writers and musicians, period.

Shit, Damn, Motherfucker - D'Angelo


One of the smoothest, best songs - no, THE best song about infidelity and murder i have EVER heard. :)

Louisiana Sunday Afternoon - Diane Schuur


Lord, the way this woman sings this standard makes me tingle. And she made the definitive version.

Humpty Dance - Digital Underground


Silly fun from the Clown of the Underground. :)

Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits


Guitars, prose and drums served smooth and flavorful.

Dont Ask My Neighbor (Come to Me) - The Emotions


To be backed up by one of the best backup bands ever - Earth, Wind and Fire- and the unmatched harmonies from the legendary Emotions .. Wow. Melts my heart every time I hear it.


Layla (unplugged and live) - Eric Clapton


Whisky and heartbreak in stripped down form.

Be Alone Tonight - Tisha Campbell from the School Daze Soundtrack


With Jasmine Guy singing back up, it's always on my rotation.

Life is a Highway - Tom Cochrane


It aint the best song Ive ever heard, but somehow, every so often, i just NEED to hear it.

Low Rider - War


I think the reason no has made a good cover of this (even Barry White had one), the band was properly high and drunk when they made this. :) Truly sublime.

I Get Around - Tupac & Digital Underground


Raunchy, but Tupac and The Digital Underground crew are just having hella fun.

Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice


My guilty pleasure, and truly one of the songs that irrevocably changed music, along with Run-DMC's "Walk This Way".

Play That Funky Music, White Boy - Wild Cherry


Vanilla Ice's DJ may have pulled that song out of the one-hit wonders morgue into Classic status, but it really is one of the definitive songs of the 70's. And a lotta fun to scream along with. :)


Miami - Will Smith


The definitive ode to Miami. Along with "Summertime" and "Men in Black", a Will Smith anthem.

Roller Coaster - The Ohio Players AND the Red Hot Chili Peppers


Either version will do me. :)

Bust a Move - Young MC


The hit from the Economics Graduate student. Popularized the word "Poindexter".

Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top


Although the Texas Blues album Eliminator has not one bad song on it, this is my favorite.
---
There are others that would qualify for this list, but these particular ones never get old.

No comments: