Monday, December 04, 2006

Size matters

Ok Santa
, it's that time of year again. I want more camera equipment. Yes, I know - Ive bought 4 cameras since December of 2004.

Still, this is what I want:

For sure, these...

- Nikon 18-200mm VR
- Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8
- Nikon 70-200mm VR f/2.8
- Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8


I'd be happy with 3 out of 4.

Yes Nick, i know. Except for the last one, each of them are more expensive than a dSLR camera. Ive come to accept this fact and rationalised the expense of the investment. I want no-excuses pictures from now on.

Speaking of cameras, I want either - or both - of these:

Fuji s3 Pro and the not yet released Fuji s5 Pro. Simply put - bigger is better.

Now, these aren't a must-have, but if they appear in my stocking, you wont hear me complain:

- Nikon D200
- Nikkor 12-24mm VR f/4
- Nikon 80-400mm VR


I'll pick up the flashes, tripods and filters. Deal?

Oh yeah, and throw in some extra batteries for me.
--------
Complicating my budget are the Macs i want.

For sure, Im getting at least one in 2007, as I need one for work and as a production hub.

I'd love a 17" G4 iMac, as I think the design is timeless and compact. But it is already close to being obsolete and not powerful enough to run the Photo software I am going to run.

I'd like a Powerbook Aluminum because - well, just to say I owned one, to tell the truth. So pretty, but again, not as powerful as im going to need. But the cheapest Ive seen them on Craigslist is 800 bux, running for as much as 1500 bux.
Jeez, for THAT kind of cheddar, I may as well step up and buy a new MacBook. Yes, each of those nikon lenses are more expensive than a MacBook, but the lenses will last at least 10 years, the computers wont.

Being in IT, I consider computers disposable and dont like buying new ones.

So.

What i think will happen is that I'll find a good deal on a powerbook, get a used Toshiba and pick up a G4 desktop for home - all the for the price of a new MacBook.

Yeah.

Now I'll have to budget for food.

No comments: