Saturday, December 23, 2000

CURRENTLY
as reported at Kennedy Arpt., NY.

Fair
Temp: 15°F
Wind Chill: -17°F
Wind: From the West at 21 mph gusting to 26 mph
-----------------------
Back in Chi-town, I used to regard the overall winter in the Northeast as sorta wimpy compared to that encountered in the midwest.

Once I saw a picture of a NY woman struggling against snow drifts with the low temp as minus 3 that day.

I laughed bitterly as painful feeling came back in my frostbitten fingers, having had to deal with minus 35 degree temps and ungodly windchills that day....

Since Ive been here. the weather here has been fairly balmy, overall.

Now, Im just fucking miserable.

I have not shivered uncontrollably like this in over ten years.

Add that to me not getting any sleep or having a 'normal' routine.. this 'hump' I need to clear is painful.

Talk about a reality check.

All I want now is a warm room, hot showers on demand and a bed to get a lot of uninterrupted shleep.

Thats all.

Anything else for christmas is extry.

I will never look at the folk riding around the subways to get a place to get uninterrupted sleep the same way again.

The cars were iceboxes tonight, the subway tunnels being painfully cold - any latent heat long having been overwhelmed.

I noticed there were a lot of them tonight.

A lot.

All ages and races.. with that blank stare telling me they dont really have anyplace to go.

Shit, for me - there are no rooms at the inns or the rooming houses. Guh.

At least Im able to afford one.

Damn this cold and this crowded city.

No comments: