Friday, April 20, 2001


I looked at the hat and gloves, and wondered if I should take 'em, based on the weather forecast of night temps in the 30's......

I decided that a scarf would be prudent.

I didnt think that I would be out long enough to miss the last NJ Transit light rail and bus to Bayonne.

Thats why I so blithely exited the train from New York at Exchange Place, across the Hudson River from downtown Manhattan at 2am.

Hoboken on the waterfront is notoriously cold and windy. Moreso late at night.

So, I took the lesser of two cold evils as I waited hours for the first morning bus to Bayonne to appear.

Lesson learned.

I'll take the gloves and hat the next time.
--------------


"Although I'm not quite the master of my fate as I claim to be, Ive also realized that my life belongs utterly to me, and that it is meant to be savored and not just worked at."
- Greg Levoy


Unpacking my belongings recently taken from storage, I uncovered a motherlode of reference books.

I had forgotten the depth of knowledge I had discarded - no - forgotten.

I had forgotten my power in my desperation to get back working and climb out of the poverty Im drowning in.

The power and the joy wasnt in what I know - its what Ive LEARNED.

I had forgotten it is death for me applying for work I already know how to do. The joy is in learning new things.

Ive been looking for work Ive been tiring of.

Work that was beneath me.

I thought Id learned my lesson from back in the days of looking for insurance work, merely because I had been an insurance examiner, nevermind that I had hated that work.

Apparently not....


"If I had listened to all taste-mongers and fools and critics, I wouldve played a safe game, never jumped the fence, and become a nonentity whose name would not be known to you now.

Or, to change metaphors, I dropped myself off the edges of cliffs, daring myself to build wings while falling, so as to not break myself on the rocks below.

To sum it all up, if you want to create, if you want to write, you must be the most sublime fool that God ever turned out and sent rambling.

You must write every single day of your life."

- Ray Bradbury
How to Be Madder than Captain Ahab





No comments: