Monday, July 23, 2001


Ferris: English? Do ya speaka any English??
Valet: (blinks, pauses, then utters in perfect english...) What *country* do you think this IS?

- Ferris Buehlers' Day Off


Schooled in the ways of New Joisey by The Sopranos, I quickly realized that most folk I've encountered in here sounds NOTHING like the broad accent put on by James Gandolfini's character.

I'm sorry.. at the very most - most folk here might have a little italiano/brooklyn/new england twinge, which is often mistaken (mostly by southerners) as a Bahston thing. But little that is as deep the Sopranos 'Joisey' accent, as most folk's accents have been broadened by being part of the New York megapolis maisma.

Which is why its always surprising when I DO encounter folk who sound EXACTLY like Tony Soprano. And I do mean exactly.

Shit yeah, they exist.

Apparently I dont get around enough.

It gives my mind something else to chew on, as I work around the inanities of Microsoft's 'Active Directory', which is the spawn of satan itself.

<.start Microsoft rant>NOW I understand why most geeks want to personally hunt Bill Gates down and off him, checking to make sure the '666' brand is really on his cold, lifeless...

EVERYTHING has to be the goddammed Microsoft Way.

Windows 2000 Server pitches an everloving fit if it is NOT the main (primary) domain server on a network.

Even if youre running NT4 already.

And now I find Active Directory pitches ANOTHER frikkin fit if all the CLIENTS arent Windows2000 or above. AAARG.

Wait. That didnt come out right.

AAAAARRRRGGGGGGG. Guh.

<./NOT the end of the Microsoft rant.>

*breathe*

What was I talking about? Oh yeah... Joisey accents...

-----------------
Every so often, they close down the main commercial drag of Bayonne and hold an impromptu car show every summer.

Probably because Im not driving now, Im not the car buff I once was.. but its till pretty neat to see lovingly cared-for cars.

But I doubt I would ever be that obsessed.

I guess cars have become like computers to me. Nice, but one of many tools...

























They came out when I was a kid, and I always wanted to drive around in a classic SS with a "Rat" motor.

And then someone sez proudly, "Yeah, this was my GRANDFATHERS Chevelle SS.."

Oy.

No comments: