Sunday, July 01, 2001

Some insight as to why my previously gold-plated resume hasnt been good enough these last coupla months...

From Matt Haughey, the founder of metafilter.com ....

The question I'm asked most often these days is this:

"Is the job market really as bad as some people are saying it is?"

and the answer is a definite yes, especially in the Bay Area.

There was (a) saying during the boom, if you wanted a new job in San Francisco, it was simple: grab a dead fish, and stand on any street corner in SOMA. Spin around as fast as you can in one place and let the fish go. Whoever it hit would no doubt hire you to work on a web team for a cash-saturated startup.

These days aren't the same at all.

I've gotten the last two jobs from word-of-mouth and casual friendships, but among all my friends currently, there's nary a one that is working for a company still hiring.

So I've hit the standard paths of checking out Dice.com, Monster.com, Headhunter.net, and camping on Craigslist. In the old days, making a sound on any of those sites would result in your phone ringing off the hook with recruiters and employers, but I've probably applied to a total of 50-60 positions, and in the first three weeks all I had to show for it was two auto-responders saying that too many people applied for the job and that I shouldn't hold my breath.

It's tough out there..... but it's hard to stand out against the other recently laid-off applicants. I've also learned that a million magazine articles and newspaper mentions don't mean a hill of beans when you're number 238 in a stack of 300+ resumes. I'm confident that a casual friendship or reader (hint, hint :) will connect me with my next gig, since the cattle call for openings still seems like a long shot.

I'm enjoying the perfect weather and time outdoors a great deal, so I can't complain.

The dude gets profiled in the NEW YORK TIMES, and still cant get a gig. How bad is that?

I wish I had the cash to hire him.

Ironically, I was being urged to stay out in SF and make a go of it there last november.

Whoo.

Not having a place out there wouldve been worse than not having a place here I do believe.

Heh. Fredlet asked me when was I gonna start my part-time gig at Starbux... heheheh.

A Barrista, eh.

Man, if Starbux had the sense to put one out here in Bayonne, but eh.

Still, thats a thought.

Maybe I could then find whats the supersecret superaddictive component of Starbux coffee.....

I would then steal the secret formula, market it and TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Uh, yeah. :-)
--------------
I dunno why you guys are so fascinated, but more random coffee run pix, from this morn...







Mmmhhmmmm... *donuts*.

Heheh. THAT phrase should make the Oxford English Dictionary too.... :-)
-------------

No comments: