Friday, August 17, 2001

When theyre angry or worked up, Ive found New Yorkers switch their speed pattern, and it often becomes faster, animated and more colorful as the spaces between their words disappear.

These arent facts, just empirical observations.

I was under the impression, that the tendency pretty much holds true for most of the folk on the other side of the river, in Jersey....

Not so much. No.

Sarcasm. A highly refined form of sarcasm. Where you'd expect a torrent of words and verbal responses, you get this sarcasm.

I mean, sure - you'll get a "Get out of the fuckin' road, you fuckin' retard" where its appropriate, naturally.

But no, in extremis - this.. almost subdued.. sarcasm pops up.

Turning back to our modern primer on all things New Jersey, The Sopranos, I now notice the character of Carmella Soprano.. where if she gets angry or expressing disgust.. she usually expresses it with a quiet sarcasm.

I swear, that is not far off from what I observe around me.

An example:

After diving past a line of cars trying to get off the route 3 exit, instead of waiting in line, cuts in front of this car. (Eh, they drive worse than that in New York.)

So she looks in the rear view mirror and goes..

That man looks angry. Gee. I would be too if I were him.

Ok, maybe thats not exactly what I was referring to, but I found that hilarious. :-)

Its just something Ive started noticing being here in Joisey.

Along with that jersey girl uniform of baby-t's and skin-tight pants ("Yeah, everybody wears that here").. there seems to be a definite pattern here.

I'll keep watching and listening.
----------------
Me: "Maybe that wise-guy kinda accent you have..."
Her: "Ive got an accent?"
Me: (pause)"Uhhh...yeah.."
Her boyfriend: (seemingly just as puzzled, in a different variation of the accent) "She's got an accent?"

At that point, Im wondering if theyre just being sarcastic, fuckin' with me .. or they really dont notice...
-----------------

No comments: