Friday, January 18, 2002

Made an executive decision this evening..

I got a Jerked Chicken dinner from a local joint on Nostrand Avenue in Brooklyn. Whoo, it was something.

Cleared my sinuses sumthin fierce, washed down with some... astringent.. ginger beer. (Made by D&G, the Red Stripe Beer brewers).

More money than I want to spend around now, (and more food than Ive eaten inna while) but Im not gonna have access to Caribbean goodness for awhile, so hey.

MAN. I forgot how spicy this schtuff is. Spiced, slow-grilled chicken, long cooked rice and red beans, pepper-marinated vegetables.. oooh.

JPennant: Man, Im gonna miss the patties and rice peas being out there...
george: Well, you'll find some other stuff to get up on, grubwise.
JPennant: wha's good?
JPennant: guess I'll grubbin on mostly asian fare?
george: I reckon. Curries and such.
george: Went to Berkeley Bowl today.
george: They do sell Red Stripe.
JPennant: heh, naturally :-)

JPennant: I do have a prejudice for where I eat out tho
JPennant: how to put it...
JPennant: It has to be a 'regular folk' kinda joint. nunna that 'doin it for the esoteric experience' crap.
george: I don't know of any joints on that tip, West Indian/Caribbean sadly.
JPennant: Oh, I meant in general.. not specifically Carib
JPennant: I can do without Carib until I get back. :-)
george: So, like a diner?
JPennant: yeah. unpretentious, neighborhood joints.
JPennant: Like, if you asked me for a great place for Jerked Chicken
JPennant: I wouldnt send you to some frou frou place in Manhattan
george: I get that.
JPennant: Id send you to specific neighborhoods in Brooklyn or Queens.
george: yeah, I understand what you mean.
JPennant: yep. same difference
-----------
The Daily News had an advertising section, to get people shopping and eating in the downtown area again..

What drew my attention was a full page ad featuring Jackie Chan, for ChinatownNYC.

I have NEVER seen chinatown advertised as a cohesive place before. Its been pretty vibrant and self-sustaining before...

Never needed it, really.

Hmm.

No comments: