Thursday, June 06, 2002

Measurements

Useless benchmarks in my life that have good stories behind them.

Coldest temperature Ive been through:
- 35F.
1982.
Chicago, Illinois
(The windchill that night was minus 82, one of the coldest measurements Ive been through. Actually, its THE coldest Ive experienced while outside..)


On that night I got frostbite on my hands and face, putting me in the hospital for a few hours.
I got it while outside trying to start my Audi Fox, because I was working the closing shift during high school at the Jewel Foods on Green Bay Road in Evanston.
The gas had frozen, so I hadda call my pops to pick me up.

The next morning, the temperature went up to a balmy -15. Naturally, the engine started right up on the first crank.
As I waited for the engine to warm up (you DONT wanna drive away immediately in sub-freezing temps), I kicked one the rubber mudflaps to clear some of the accumulated ice/snow - the rubber shattered like glass, shards flying every which way.
For months afterward, Id look at the jagged gap on the ever-more pliable rubber in wonderment.

I never bought gloves or any other piece of clothing from KMart ever again.

My fingers are still quite sensitive to heat and cold. (Which is why its painful for me to handle a hot cuppa coffee.)

Hottest Temperature
118F (as measured by the bank thermometer). 2001
Bayonne, NJ


Oddly, in all the times Ive lived down south - Ive never seen temperatures go past the low 100's in the summer.
But in Chicago and New York, every so often - the temp would soar over 105.

I never understood that.

Highest mountain climbed :
7,050 feet
Blue Mountain Peaks, Jamaica


Jamaica has the tallest mountains in the Caribbean region. Its actually considered an alpine zone (a warm one) smack in the middle of the tropics, where rainforest flowers grow along side evergreen Fir and pine trees.

Its beautiful, with an awe inspiring view of the southern plains, extending to the deep blues of the Caribbean Sea. Then everything is obscured as the fog rolls in almost every afternoon, the sun passes to the west and the mountains turn their distinctive blue hue.....

I want to retire there.

Fastest Speed
132 mph
Batavia, Illinois
1986 Mustang GT


My neighbor test drove cars for Consumer Reports, so I had a delightful assortment of new cars to drive.
The only ones he never let me drive were the Porsche's. Mainly because of their agreement with Porsche North America.

Heehee. Much fun. The most memorable car of the lot WAS the Mustang GT.

I still lust for a FHP interceptor.

Incidentally, Ive never gotten a speeding ticket that exceeded 63 mph. I swear to gawd.

Most expensive meal
$132 for two
1987
Downtown Chicago


I dont remember the name of the restaurant, nor the girl I was with.
I dont even remember what we ate.
I just remember the tab.

We didnt even order any liquor.



No comments: