Tuesday, June 18, 2002

This, I Firmly Believe

When I started visiting my family in New York back in the mid 80's, the place was a hellhole.

A vibrant eye-opening hellhole.

Even so I talked often of moving there. It took over a decade, and my mother becoming unemployed - before I decided to move there.

One reason is, and this I truly believe:

Everyone should visit New York at least once in their life.
Everyone should LIVE in New York City for at least one year out of their lifetime.

When I started this blog is when I realized that many people around the world do have an intense curiousity about the city and would like to experience it.

However, for whatever reason, most of those same folk think its an unrealistic dream.

Personally, I think most folk are scared to find out if they can. And thats not an unrealistic concern.

In spite of that, I think most folk should check the place out, and if possible, experience it at least once in their lifetime.

I was talking to Judy about that the other night, and was telling her how Tammy took the plunge and moved to New York to do her time there.

JPennant: I was telling a chica in vancouver about you doing your Time in New York
tammy: is the capitalized T intentional?
JPennant: hehehe. absolutely :-)
tammy: okey just checking, go on
JPennant: oh, she was just amazed that you did do it
tammy: oh?
JPennant: most people are too scared to try, even tho most would want to
tammy: yeah
tammy: hehe i'm glad i did it
tammy: no regrets
tammy: though it's not helping the debt situation
JPennant: hey, its a once in a lifetime thing :-) Well worth the expense.
JPennant: although *cough* you CAN live frugally in NYC if you put your mind to it
JPennant: starbux expenses excepted.
JPennant: I dont know of anyone who regretted making the move
JPennant: sun, cyn to name two off the top of my head

(Clarification: I meant as example two people who definitely dont regret going to NYC. Ok, sun? ;-) By the way, Sun is now a Mets fan.... )

tammy: actually, i've been really good about money lately
tammy: surprisingly so
tammy: haha
JPennant: oh yah? how so?
JPennant: <-- genuinely curious
tammy: i haven't really been spending that much money
tammy: i haven't shopped at all
JPennant: cut down on going out?
tammy: when i eat out ... i haven't really been paying.
tammy: other people usually buy my drinks...
tammy: sure i can cut down more
tammy: but i'm saying, it's still better than before.
JPennant: very true :-)
JPennant: remember back when you were not sure you wanted to come to NY, until you went and visited your friend susan?
tammy: ya
JPennant: were ya scared?
tammy: not scared... other than financially.
JPennant: aright
tammy: i've always wanted to move to ny
tammy: and london
tammy: london i'm not so sure about anymore
tammy: seems like a big hassle
JPennant: why not?
tammy: shitty weather and its expensive
tammy: but other than that, yeah.
tammy: haha
JPennant: still. youre doing what most folk in the world only wish they could
JPennant: One of the best excuses I heard was.. "I dont wanna leave the cats"

Although, as Kate will tell ya - its hard to leave the cat.

So she didnt.

No comments: