Sunday, June 16, 2002

But, What About Me?

A few years ago, as Kate and I walked and talked around the Upper West Side.. I was bemoaning how people were overworking me because of my tech skills.
After some thought, Kate said something that has stuck with me ever since..

Would anyone like you if it werent for your brain?
Whoa. You can see why that stuck with me.

No, she didnt mean it literally. Her question was: If I werent useful, would people still want me around?

Happily, as Ive grown older, I know thats not always the case. But a lot of folk see me that way.
A useful guy to have around.
For whatever reasons.

No, I am much more than that.

Yesterday, I hung around for someone who wanted me to help them with computer stuff at their home. For the fifth time after begging me, she didnt show.
Its funny, that seems to happen a lot.

"PLEASE hang around, because I need you."

Dont get me wrong, I really LIKE being needed. But Im not a tool.

So as I cursed the woman for wasting my fucking time, I vowed not to allocate anymore time for her.
Or for anyone else.

So, what about me?

If Im getting little in return, why should I hang around?

With that in mind, Im headed west for the same reason many people go West.
They want a clean break, a place to start anew. To be.

Literally or metaphorically, the worst thing you can do is to go somewhere to escape yourself.

The best thing to do is to go somewhere to be yourself.
--------------
Today's horrorscope then..
You're coming to the end ... and when the sun moves into your sign on Friday, it will feel as if you've been reborn.

OK, maybe it won't be quite that dramatic, but this is a time of new beginnings, so make a list of all the things that have been worrying you and then burn it.

As it turns to ashes, your new life begins.

----------------
By the way, theyre threatening to shut down Amtrack in July.

Time to book that cross country trip.

Ever since i was a kid, and reading those 50's and 60's era illustrations of the train rides across the United States - I swore I would take the time to do it.

To ride the famed Superliner and see the vistas. See the Rockies close up. Yeah, its a five day trip.

Now is the time.

For many things.



No comments: