Wednesday, July 03, 2002

A journey starts with a Bus ticket

Fort Lauderdale Greyhound Bus Station







And then the bomb and drug-sniffing dogs crawled all over our bags, the agents boarding the bus to check the passengers on the Bus going up I-95 (the New York bound bus)...



And the agents asked pointed questions



Eventually they let the bus go.



And when I arrived in Jax.... the first thing I wanted after 5 years of deprivation, was a Hardees biscuit.

Dont laugh. It was better than I remembered.
------------------------
The neighborhood I lived in is referred to as Five Points in Riverside.

Riverside is right by downtown Jacksonville, and Five Points is sort of the town center for Riverside.

Five Points and Riverside is home to both the genteel rich and bohemian young.

I really liked that neighborhood, so I wandered Five Points in the morn



























And here is the "Five Points".. a roundabout with 5 streets joining together





Ehhh, dont knock it. Jax folk hold the place with much affection.









And then the river at the famed Riverside, with a view of downtown Jacksonville Florida - the banking and financial capital of the state.













With spanish moss hanging off every tree, it is truly the south.

However, as I was thinking - at least they havent put a Starbux in the old neighborhood, I come across



The Giant Latte

Turns out this Starbux yesterday. Gah.

I tried to be sardonic, quipping the Evil Starbux line.

The native folk were HAPPY a Starbux has finally opened in Riverside.



FINALLY, they exclaimed... Riverside, the coolest part of Jacksonville had a Starbux.

I just shet my mouth and bought a Four Dollar Cuppa Coffee, where inside the chalkboard proclaimed

"Welcome to your friendly neighborhood Starbucks."



There goes the neighborhood.



No comments: