Tuesday, July 09, 2002

Non-whiny entry

Anna defined the feeling by using a filipino 'ism'..

Senti.
Essentially, senti is derived from the word "sentimental." However, from the way I've heard my Filipino friends use it, it seems to connote more than that. It seems to imply nostalgia, melancholy, longing, hurt, hope.


Every time I saw a black Accord Coupe around Jacksonville, my head would swivel as I half expected to see Moni Sayed step out from it.

Never mind that its been nearly 10 years now. I wonder how she's doing. Then I wonder about the hundreds of people I grew to know in Jax, most of whom Ive forgotten their names, but not their circumstances.

My brain is being rewired along familiar paths, as I remember bits and pieces and places that had been purged from memory.

I want to reconnect, if only to know how theyre doing.

Then I put it out of my mind as I continue to photograph places in a familiar town of strangers.
--------------------
Staying with Lillie, living off her bodacious cooking.

Been introduced to two asian things Im currently addicted to:

Yam Yam (from Singapore)

basically sesame bread sticks, that you dip into creamy strawberry or chocolate dips.

and "Soft Sesame Candy" - made in Vietnam (according to the package)

Essentially a flat circle of maltose (malt sugar), covered by roasted sesame seeds.

Mmmmmmmmm. Im a fool for Malt.

A satisfying chew.

Next up.. shrimp chips.
-------------
I dreamt I was dancing with her, her joy of dancing showing in her eyes and her hair as she easily swirled in my hands.

Dancing.

I dont even dance.

No gabz.. it doesnt get any easier.

Senti.

No comments: