Thursday, April 10, 2003

Commie Pinko Bastard

The American flag doesnt fly easily here, in the Republic of Berkeley.

Teachers in the High School are still in a state of snit that the American flag, as per state law, is flown from the flag pole in front of the school.

The first indicator to the rest of the country of the antipathy toward the US of A that is commonly felt here, was when they raised a stink as to the flying of the American flag on Berkeley Fire trucks in empathy for the FDNY firefighters of 9/11.

Last night, I felt my own blood boil.

In a house full of batik prints, tibetan flags, peace crystals and whatnot...

"What do you think of the fall of Baghdad? Do you support it?"
"I think that it was gonna happen, and if it happens, back it - right or wrong."
*pause*
"I think the if I were there, I wouldve helped the Iraqi kill as many americans as I could."

*my turn to pause*

"Youre kidding, right?"
"No. I wouldve helped them kill the americans. Look what the Americans have done to the world, theyve caused all kinds of horrors.."

In addition to the anti-war messages, Ive heard this a few times before, but.. this is the first time Ive heard someone say - "I wouldve killed Americans."

This was his idea of a debate.

The picture of another of Berkeley's native sons - John Walker Lindh, came into even clearer focus.

I just felt sick to my stomach.





No comments: