Sunday, April 06, 2003

The End of Saving The Time

I didnt realize that it was time to 'spring ahead' today. Actually, I didnt remember.

It used to be the newspapers and tv stations would stridently remind you.

Now, eh.

I guess after 30 years of this, they figure people just know.

Hell, I still dont know when Easter comes around..
(Is it the third Moon in Libra after the Winter Solstice? I forget.)

It'll be October soon and then we'll spring forward to save time again. Someone remind me when that happens.
--------
Today, I cooked a traditional Jamaican sunday dinner - Rice and Peas and Chicken.

Takes a long time to cook, so I got the ingredients a few days before.

Id spied some spices and beans in an Indian wholesale store (in the so-called Indian Ghetto in West Berkeley by University Avenue), and decided I should do this.

Total cost? 4 bux plus the rice, (which cost 6.99 for 22lbs). Didnt even sweat the 10 bill.

Wow. That would barely hook me up at Domino's or Pizza hut.

(Fresh chicken at 49 cents a pound from 99 Ranch, for people in the know - heheh.)

And when you cook the Sunday dinner properly, its designed to feed a family of six for a few days afterward. Huge. And that includes going for a late night thirds before the leftovers are put away. *urp*

Being broke makes you creative.

Now, since Im grinding my own coffee and getting it at 5.99 for a lb or more of french roasted beans - Im considering getting cured green beans and roasting my own.

I figure thats a useful skill.

It occurred to me then, that would make it 'gourmet' coffee, and people spend big bucks to get something one could make on their own for pennies.

Hm.

Maybe I should learn to make my own donuts.

----
Last night I met a pretty young thing.

I stared lovingly into her breasts.. uhh, eyes... and wondered what'd be like.

A few years ago, I realized I was at the point to do whatever it took to raise a family. It also came from talking to a pretty young thing that I knew I would never see again.

Talking to this pretty young thing, that Im pretty sure wouldnt be a good idea to want anything long term with, hell - didnt really want anything beyond a warm body to bump in the dark with, I realized something further.

Im in the mood to make the commitment, and it wont take much.

Its like when Spock gets into that Vulcan Mating Frenzy mood thing.. but waaay more bemused and ambivalent ....

No wonder so many people finally get married around my age.

Im in the mood to be asked.
---------

Since I dont even remember when, today I read The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupéry.

Because, you know..


Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them.


Yes.




No comments: