Thursday, July 31, 2003

(head cloudy from a cold... will try to write this)

What would you do if you werent afraid?

As I stood there I overheard this conversation

1 "I should be getting paid next week.."
2 "You getting a SSI check?"
1 "Yeah"
2 "Man, I cant imagine doing without money. Just for the essentials, you know.."

And here were his list of essentials:

- Bus Fare
- BART tickets
- Food
- Movies
- Going to the Sizzler Steakhouse
- CD's

*blink*

Movies? CD's? The Sizzler?

This was the minimum he could live with.

What is your minimum?
---------------

This morn I was humming The Beatles' "Money Can't Buy Me Love" (ever notice humming or whistling songs cause some people to reflexively do the same? anyways..)

"MAN. Thats so true. The b*&#^@ doesnt care for your sorry ass if you buy it."

And that got into a brief discussion about related lyrics...

"It takes a fool, to learn, that love dont love nobody."

He said he understood that.

Im not sure I do.

Cant figure it out with intellect apparently.
------------
I want a compact travelling kit. Backpack, blanket, poncho etc etc to do the Kerouac bit that people accuse me of doing.

As Im wont to do, I mentally plan what I need and where Im gonna get it.

Lessee

- Balanced backpack, mexican woven wool blanket, military sweater with the shoulder patches, floppy bush hat etc etc

Military surplus and side stalls is where Im goin to find 'em.

I used to see travellers go around on buses and such with that kind of gear for sleeping outside whenever and wherever.

Never imagined Id hunger for it now.

Some people however, would do Kerouac via REI, dropping loads of cash to prepare themselves to travel.

Living the minimal, itinerant life by going shopping and getting expensive gear.

Thats the Kerouac spirit?



No comments: