Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Just so happened today..

The woman riding her well-stickered bike cut across several lanes to make the left turn off Broadway in North Oakland.

Idly, I wondered if I could catch her bright-blue sunglasses, the radioactive red hair, camoflagued combat pants and insouiant attitude in a quick snap.

I contemplated powering up the camera.

No need, for she caught sight of me, her face brightened in a broad smile of recognition, and she yelled "JOE!!!" as she swung BACK over 3 lanes of traffic straight toward me.

What tha hell??

Grinning she hopped the curb on the bicycle, swung smoothly off and grabbed me in a hug. By that time I was also grinning broadly, yelling "Aden!!" as she air-kissed my whiskers.

Ah yes, the woman who made me her slave by eliminating my sitcom-ready back pain early this year.

Free-spirit?

Yah.

Uber-smart, totally hippy-groovy, openly omni-sexual, serious and playful, totally accepting of everything and everybody.

Cute too.

I brought her up to speed, she's always dug my work, Ive always dug her mind and body.

Within 5 minutes, contacts updated, plans made, warm hugs and kisses given, she scooted off pedalling to who-knows-where...

I was feeling warm and comfy.

I realized right then that almost no matter where I go in the Oakland/Berkeley area on a daily basis, I will be greeted warmly by someone I know.

And thats when I realized Im home.





No comments: