Monday, August 18, 2003

Mmkay

"The Lighter Side of Crop Circles" said the prominent ads and flyers at the Library of the Republic of Berkeley.

Mmkay, I said to myself, I'll bite at the appointed time.

I did.

*sigh*

The only light side of it was that the True Believers found it hilarious that an obvious hoax circle was perpetrated so close, and well, they wanted to believe that a *real* one would occur close to their backyard.

Mmkay.

Im afraid I even snored for a bit.

When I awoke, the same drones and beatific smiles were on, so I felt I could ask a reasonable question. No lie, I was determined to be good.

Accepting even.

Really.

"So, as a photographer - what is it exactly you find fascinating about crop circles?"

*blank looks*

I'd assumed I was talking to a professional photographer who was fascinated by crop circles, but the silence made me think maybe I was being a tad obtuse.

After a bit, the one with the beatific smile asked me to clarify the question.

Im thinking he was the photographer.

So..

"When you are shooting crop circles, what is it that you find fascinating.. when. you. are. shooting. pictures. of. them." Full Stop. Question mark.

*silence* Then..

"umm, well... Im fascinated by the spiritual mystery of these things, the patterns making perfect mathematical.."

Oh my lord, at that point I truly realized my mistake.

This was a True Believer. This was a meeting FOR True Believers.

Crop Circles was his life.

Mmkay.

I was handed a book that Explained It All. Crop Circles.

It was a book for True Believers.

Mmkay.

I looked at the clock and realized nap time was over.

It was time to go.



No comments: