Sunday, October 19, 2003

No fear

"What do you think is the one thing that holds people back.. laziness or fear?" Mira said.
"Fear, hands down." I replied.


I know what I want now.

Im not so afraid of the ambiguities anymore.
-------
In the park

"Whats your name?"
"Joe."
"Mine's Courtney, Joe."
"Right. You take care, Courtney..."
"I WILL see you again, Joe."


She smiled and walked off with her bicycle, her blond hair showing beneath her cholo rag.

I hear a chuckle behind me. Without turning around, I knew what it meant, as he had seen me and LeGirl laying in the grass and sunshine yesterday.

"Im a shy guy at heart, man."
"Uh-huh. Right. The white girls like you intellectual types.. "
"Oh lord, Im just minding my own business. Nuttin to get excited about.."
"Riight."


He chuckled again.

------------
"Have you seen a woman named Sandra, black female in her 40's?"
"No, although I think someone was asking about her earlier."
"Ok, someone who is concerned for her is looking for her. Thank you Joe"


For a second I thought I misheard the police officer, but no - she DID call me by my name.

I dont know any cops who know me by name. How the hell did she know mine ?

Berkeley/Oakland IS a small town, but someone else offered an explanation..

"Berkeley cops always have people undercover here getting information, figuring out who's selling dope. They know who you are for sure."

Wow.



No comments: