Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Workin' it


Virgos
, often seemingly humble and generally circumspect in public, definitely have a strong streak of vanity and exhibitionism, although theyd be loath to openly admit to it.

(If you live with a Virgo, check out how often they pause to check themselves before a mirror... )

Mine comes out with the glow of pride I get when people admire my gear.

The cameras I had were all impressive looking, and I purred from the feedback I got from my shiny things.

But you gotta know your audience, and this is Berkeley, home of innumerable small presses, writers and frustrated writers.

Hoo-boy, the atention Ive been getting walking around, either reading or prominently displaying it from my backpack, The Publish It Yourself Handbook.

Heheh. Youd think I was carrying around nude posters from the whiplash reactions and questions I get about the book (although the nude poster would cause far less of a reaction, this being Berkeley after all), people talking about the books they want to publish.

Yep, Im in the right place.
--------------
"Well, we were living on this hilltop, and I was writing, and we were living this life that was frequently lovely, but also was often grim."

- Oliver Lange, "Kitchen Counter Publishing" from The Publish It Yourself Handbook


Marn, one of my literary heroes, wrote me today:
It seemed to me you were bottoming out there a bit,
Joe. Are you feeling better now?


The short public answer is, yes - yes I am. But probably not to the naked eye. :-)

As an ex put it, Im living a "sordid, nasty life" living poor and homeless (I forget nothing).

But, I chose this path, this life. And, as the man said, the life is frequently lovely (as hard as it is to believe), but often quite grim.

Ironically, thats life.

Now, this being Berkeley, there is an odd twist to this.

It seems Im earning a badge of honor.

Homeless in Berkeley.

Ive joined esteemed company here. Many, many people have this on their resume.

Lets list a few: Whoopi Goldberg, Tom Hanks, Timothy Leary, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jay Ward (think Rocky, Bullwinkle, Boris and Natasha), Jessica Lange, Alice Walker, etc etc.

All were "Homeless in Berkeley", hands down the place to be if shipwrecked in California.

The list of people who have couch-surfed, "camped-out" or have had no definite address through Berkeley is simply mind-boggling.

Its a rite of passage.

Personally, Im not fond of this. Piss on holy poverty. I HATE being broke. Without computer. Without camera. Without cooking facilities. All of the above.

It sucks.

But, as I said - the payoff is turning out to be incredible.

My work is respected, and the people with connections are connecting me.

Plus other perks. :-)

My dreams are definitely unfolding to full length.

But, it aint easy.

No, you dont wanna be me, but I like this ride.
---------
By the way Marn, one of the pleasures I indulge in as often as I can (before the cold and rainy winter comes), is to lay out in the grass at the Park by Berkeley's city hall.

Yesterday, as I snoozed, not worried that anyone was gonna molest me, a pit bull puppy bit me on the chin.

Since this puppy knows me, he didnt break skin, as he was issuing a playful challenge, the little spaz.

I took the leash and walked the dog, - err, got pulled along, barefoot in the grass.

Then he lay by my side chewing on things that American Yellow-eyed Staffordshire Terriers like to chew on, as I read in the sun in the park on the grass, until his mommies came to pick him up.

Other people joined me until the sun faded over the Bay and Golden Gate Bridge.

No, not so bad.





No comments: