Wednesday, February 04, 2004


Understatement

"... ok, its working now."
"Wow, I wouldve never thought to do THAT to fix it."
"Eh. I used to do this for a living."
"Youre probably the first person Ive met who can do what they say they can do."
"You see a lot of folk misrepresenting themselves?"
"Yes, telling people theyre more than what they are."
"Nah, not me. In fact, I tend to *understate* what I can do."
"You know... *That's* almost as bad."


I was taken aback at what she said, frankly.

Understatement almost as bad as overstating your curriculum vitae?

Hm.

I leave things out when I talk about my skills and experiences, as many folk have the attitude of "If you can do all that, why are you poor?"

(Left unsaid is the "AND youre a black man... Im not sure I can believe you can do what you say.."
Eh, that's reality.)

So, I prefer understatement.

But, she may have a point.
--------
Among the people who *do* know me, because theyve worked with me and known me on a professional level is Tim the Photographer

He recently dropped me a line requesting a status update

(Imagine a Aussie-tinged cockney accent):

> I was cursing your name as I had to rent an old powerbook
> to shoot a pano with
> recently....something along the line of "that Joe
> Pennant, never heard from
> him again after he made off with mine!?"
>
> Hehehe


Heheheh

> So what's cooking in Berkeley? What's keeping you
> there?
>


That's a very good question.

There is nothing keeping me here. I had intended to skate to LA last summer and then on to Hawaii.

Ive stayed here for a reason that Im loath to articulate, partly cuz Im tired of #(%#*&%$ repeating myself.

Im here because this feels like a home base. This place has serious possibilities.

> Did you ever sort out the i-d saga?

Mostly, although for some reason - Ive had my California ID sent to a specific address.. and STILL the people at that addrerss say it hasnt shown up yet.

Oy.

So the ID saga continues.

> Many questions to ansa
>



Not to piss on the well-intentioned folk, but I can only give answers to those who can already fill in the blanks when I understate myself...
---------
He was around (and was a partial inspiration) for the genesis of this path Im on, so he knows all about what Im trying to do..

> (your projects and dreams). Get that puppy outta the bag.
> And yo, don't anybody tell you otherwise, you're the
> only person you need to
> convince to get shit done.


Im convinced. :-)

> Until we diner again.

Until we Diner again. :-)



No comments: