Friday, July 02, 2004

Visa, Mastercard or Love for the compliment?

The last two places Ive lived at and left this year, people have said "Its just not the same without you around here.."

I ask 'em "How?", and they invariably answer "Dunno, just not the same.. the atmosphere is different."

Im not sure how, but ok.

I guess I'll take it as a compliment.

When I worked @ TheStreet.com, and dragged my ass in late in the afternoon as usual, the tech and customer support bullpen would invariably get loud, to the point the director asking people to hush.

A coworker eventually told me it was all my fault.

"Why?", I asked Chandy (name drop intentional). He said that every time I came into work, it was usually a huge difference in atmosphere. Before, quiet .. minutes after my arrival.. noisy.

I read somewhere that a characteristic of folk born with Cancer rising, is that they adjust the ambient energy in an environment to one where *they* felt comfortable.

Not sure how that works, but ok.

I took that as a compliment.
---------
Gah.

Apart from my books, printer and mounted images, I aimed to have LESS stuff this time around.

I gave away shit. Sold more. To get to the point where I can carry around all my shit in two bags, laptop included.

Even so, I got soft, for my bag is killing my back now.

A lesson Ive apparently forgotten this year, having gotten soft sleeping in warm beds...

Ounces count.

I still have too much stuff.
------------
As I packed, one young man started rifling through my images.. and then asked The Question.

"Dude, did you buy these pictures to sell 'em?"

Along with "Hey Joe, Where you goin' with that gun in yer hand?", that statement is one I hear over and over, guaranteed to bug me. But since its nothing new anymore, I dont growl at folk anymore.

"I took them."
"Really?? You didnt buy them?"
"No. I took them. With a camera."
"Oh. These are good, like they came from a magazine."
"Thanks."
"I guess I gave you a sort of a compliment, huh?"
"I guess it is."


I'll take it as a compliment, Poo.


No comments: