Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Wherever you go, there you are

*grrm*


The drawback to an analytical mind is that I'll compute ways to keep my lazy ass from having to do anything too strenuous.

Like walking.

Like how to get from having breakfast at Mission & Sixth to Eighth & Market and the Library. A distance of *counts* two, three, six blocks.. give or take.

What? Six LONG blocks.

Walk 3 blocks on Sixth to Market, then 3 blocks up to Eight.

Or *bling!* take the bus!!

So, onto the #26 MUNI, which *I* thought would take me right to the corner of Eighth & Market.

I miscalculated. It went straight up Mission past my exit on Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, aaannnd a right on Valencia.

As you guessed, I went for the ride, instead of endeavoring to walk back to Eighth. You kidding?

Glad I did.

Nice ride. I went through a Mission District I knew nothing about, one invaded by proto-hipsters driving out the low and reasonable cost housing, but adding a little to the flavor, and frankly, cleaning it up a bit.

Then up into the fog-shrouded hills, through areas rich and poor.

And then down to the San Francisco State area, on the Pacific coast.

Really nice ride. Begs for exploration later.

Then I road the same bus back to Market Street, and here I am...
--------
San Francisco is a strange little city, in the sense that it isnt linear. Literally.

Roads swoop and curve all over, seemingly straight roads gently curve off on a tangent or end abruptly and you'll get a glimpse of places you might have been to before, then a corner turn, and it'll be another corner of netherland, usually with a coffeeshop on that corner.

Its like a combination of deja vu, familiarity, recognition and discovery all at the same time.

The other day, I got off the J street car at the Mission Dolores park.

I'd heard it was a nice park, but the elevations and sweeping view was quite unexpected.

And in the sweeping but compact view, it felt as if I could reach and touch the different sections and landmarks of downtown, from the Bay Bridge to city hall, and even the Castro.

But its an illusion, giving the impression that everything is naught but a skip step away, when its more like several long, steep blocks and miles away.

A little bit of Wonderland.


No comments: