Saturday, October 16, 2004

The Cult of the Cash and Carry

I havent even
moved in a week, and already im getting junk mail.

I dont miss this.

Last night i went to the local Safeway supermarket. No, I didnt spend a lot of money - ive become way more of a skintflint these past hard years.

But I bought crap i normally wouldnt. I dont miss this.

The junkmail included a pitch from the cable company for high speed internet and a lotta cable channels.

More bills.

I need a phone.

More bills.

A car.

More bills, more bills, more bills.

I read somewhere recently that americans, on average pay 21 bills monthly to several entities.

eeh.

Ive had NO bills these past few years.

No, i dont pay electricity or water, so Im fortunate there.

I dont want to evaporate any gains by getting services I dont need, no matter how cheaply i can get them.

Its a tricky balance, determining between want and need.

I dont need bills.

I like the cash and carry system.


Or the "No cash, and carry system".
------
McClint: gonna scoot and find dinner. later
JPennant: aight pa
McClint signed off at 2:29:56 PM.
McClint signed on at 3:10:54 PM.
JPennant: that was quick. taco bell?
JPennant: mmm, full on the value menu
McClint: actually yes
JPennant: heheh
McClint: #3 3 taco supremes
JPennant: mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
JPennant: :-)
JPennant: havent had taco bell in a long while
McClint: make a run for the border
JPennant: nah, cost money
JPennant: writing something about that right nowe
JPennant: about spending more than i have to
JPennant: or rather, want to.
McClint: i know what ya mean
-------

Pursuant to that, im scanning the 'free stuff' section of craigslist.

on my shopping list

- microwave
- rice cooker
- compact puter desk
- small table
- toaster/toaster oven

Dont wanna spend any, or failing that, as little as possible for them.

Ive actually seen a lot of them pass by, but ive declined to follow up and play the Great Chase for two reasons.

A lot of the stuff is gone by the time I check it out. Usually within minutes. And i dont have a car to transport the big stuff.

And i dont know anyone in this city with a car, oddly enough.

But, i'll keep lookin.


-----------

No comments: