Friday, December 17, 2004

Girlfriends after hours

Lilbro, a man
who will scorn anything corny, has a favorite TV show - Girlfriends.

I get off work at midnight, and I make sure Im home at 12:30 in time to catch - Girlfriends.

I didnt like it when it first came on, but in reruns - its oddly riveting. Sorta like the Seinfeld reruns.

Yeah I know, its just a soap opera in lightweight sitcom form.

Or maybe i just wanted to see the episode where Todd proposed to Toni, or where the word 'litigous' caused the mother of all hard-ons between lawyers..

(Even tho I already know that Todd left Toni, but she hasnt told Todd that she's pregnant, and William cheated on Monica, and left her for the woman who took his job at the firm and is now with Joan who is vying with him to be senior partner..)

Girrrrrllll....
-------
Between meetings and bus travel and appointments , i had a little time before werk (trademark of .zannah) to go fondle cameras in preparation of next month's purchases.

Ugh.

As much as i am a believer in handling the item you aim to buy, it is a distinctively unsatisfying process, ranking right down there with *bad* first dates.

Worse when youre feeling rushed and frustrated.

But it is part of the process, as it is no longer conceivable to me to buy something without getting to know it beforehand.

(Yes, thats a thinly veiled reference to humans too).

My style of shopping is to lock into what I want early and wait before i buy it, then go get what I want in a burst of intensely impulsive activity (also my dating style, interestingly).

But this is also frustrating to the salesperson, who wants me to buy when I saunter up to the counter, when all i want to do is cop a feel before I buy.

So, in addition to a brief look-see with a crippled item that does little to help me evaluate what Im getting, I now have to essentially lie to another human being as to my intentions (wow, the allegories keep piling up), and this makes the experience worse.

so, ugh.

Because it has been sold out in most local places Ive visited, today was the first time ive been able to actually hold a s7000 in my hands, even tho Im quite familiar with its predecessors, so its not an unknown quantity with me.

But i also went to check out a dark horse in the camera stakes, the Panasonic Lumix FZ line.

Although ive been fairly impressed with them since I first saw one at Frye's, the generic Panasonic name has kept me from even seriously considering buying one, it keeps jumping to the head of the line. So, with the prospect of getting a good deal - I went to the camera store to check out this camera.

Based on a brief, unsatisfying feel - it gave me little reason NOT to buy one. So, its in the running.

Im getting a s7000, regardless.

But now, Im considering buying 3 cameras instead of two, funds permitting.

Im gonna have to do more hands-on testing before I commit tho...


No comments: