Saturday, January 15, 2005

German layer camera

".. this car makes an average driver feel like a good driver, a good driver feel like a professional and a professional feel like God."
- Car and Driver review of the Porsche 928S


I am very partial to german cars, having owned 6 over the years. German cars feel like theyre built up to a single-minded principle of solidly functional capability. The well-built ones feel solid, smooth and unflappable, no matter the conditions.

And when you push 'em, they invariably put a shit-eating grin on your face.

A 'shit-eating grin' is defined as when an experience is so good that you involuntarily start grinning like an idiot.

This Fuji S602z feels like a german car. :-D

It feels like a camera should. Solid, well-weighted, balanced and capable. It has a professional feel.

It is no surprise that professional photographers in Europe quickly picked up on this and started using it as such. So much so, that Fuji, with only slight modifications, came out with an extremely popular professional version that is still in demand, even tho it has since been replaced.

Last night, I went through a comprehensive 100 page manual to learn all the feaures of this thing. It has a LOT of features, but none of them feel superfluous. And as I went through the different modes and features, I started grinning like an idiot.

This morning, I went downtown to see if I could capture some of the shots I had in mind when I came to San Francisco.









Nailed 'em, first shot each time.

Yeah, this was worth the wait.

------

I named
the predecessor to this camera "Stella", from the book and movie "How Stella Got Her Groove Back".

The name just fit when I stopped struggling with the camera and then everything just fell into place.

This one, I dont know yet.

It's coming.





No comments: