Saturday, January 01, 2005

How hella random

In a
city the size of San Francisco, the probability of crossing paths with someone you know is high.

Still, when it does happen, it is surprising.

So, when I found myself enveloped in a crushing bear-hug by a pretty red-head loudly squealing my name on the Powell Street BART platform whilst on my way to work at 10:30 pm a few nights ago.

I havent seen my friend mira since i'd left berkeley 6 months ago, and apart from a few emails here and there when we both moved to frisco, we had lost touch.

Still tho, us crossing paths like that was definitely unusual.

Even more unusual was when we parted company and i rushed into the virgin megastore downtown to exchange a duff DVD that i'd bought for christmas.

The virgin megastore in downtown San Francisco (across the street from the Apple store, clint) is not somewhere you'll find me at any time, much less that late at night.

Once i found another DVD, I rushed downstairs to get the thing exchanged so i could be on my way to work.

Unthinkingly, because i was in a rush to get outta there, i jumped ahead of a young woman who had been standing there. When the cashier objected, the young woman graciously waved me to the cashier.

I thanked the woman and rushed up to the counter, intent on getting the hell outta there. Then i realized i knew this woman, even if i had never met this woman before.

"You look familiar." I said to her.
"Uhhh... JOE???"

SO that's how, after 5 years, I finally met the kind woman ive been calling princess all these years.

Sorry gg, for rushing out on you - i didnt have a ton of time because any more serendipity wouldve made me late for work.


----------
Even when ive been without camera, im always taking pictures in my head, framing, composing and evaluating.

Probably just so I wouldnt get out of practice.

But there was one aspect of actually taking pictures i had forgotten, which was figuring out how to get the proper exposure.

That is probably the hardest part of photography, which is why Im still thankful to Tim the Photographer giving me a quick lesson on how to quickly spot-meter an image in camera while we shared a brooklyn-bound cab home.

Just something I realized while trying to get some shots in the other day.


No comments: