Monday, April 25, 2005

"Youre here not just to take classes, you're in college to learn how to learn. Get your degree, get outta here.""


City College of San Francisco The comedian Robin Williams had a routine about marriage ... the first one is to get your feet wet, the second is to learn the skills And the third is the real one

Going back to school is like that for me. Walking out of the counselors office, looking at my class plan.. I looked at the course load.. what a load.

My opinion of school is this: Do what you have to, finish your course load and get out. Otherwise, its a time-sucking waste of a life you could be living.
Unless youre doing the perpetual student thing to get a job.. in school.
Still, even though I feel that way, there are times when you need to get a structured grounding in certain disciplines. You can go to school or get an apprenticeship or learn in a hands on way - the last is my preferred method.

This time tho - I feel school is the best course. And being older, and having been through the experience.. I have a good idea of what I need to do.

Get what I need, do all that is necessary to finish school, get out.

I remember the first time I entered school. There were ALL these classes I wanted to take. I was a sponge fer knowledge, I was.
Hahaha.
Boy, was I a fool.

First time out, once I figured out my majors (which took 2 semesters), I shoulda then stripped out the non-essentials and gotten. my.degree. in the least time possible.

Shoulda listened to my teachers back then.

So, I look at my course load, and my over-riding impulse is to do the work, get done, get out.

I have too much to do to use school as a crutch.

No comments: