Tuesday, May 31, 2005

As we talk ... she offers me peanuts.
I take a couple of nuts as Kenyon instantly shifts the topic -- she does that often -- and explains to me that she has totally changed her diet, eliminating most sugars, including those found in processed flour. Hence the peanuts.

An experiment with her tiny worms is responsible, she says; that experiment proved that sugar switches on a genetic sequence that increases the amount of insulin produced by an organism, which in turn causes the body to demand more sugar.

This not only adds flab to the waistline, if worms had a waistline, but also increases damage to cells in the body, speeding up the slow degradation of cells that contributes to aging. "It was a revelation," Kenyon says.

She also drinks red wine and green tea, which her lab and others have shown help repair cells and contribute to an increased life span.

- Finding the Fountain of Youth


Eep.

I spent hours wandering chinatown recently looking for Ginseng Mint Green Tea. People looked back at me like I was daft. (Ive seen and drunk it before at the Berkeley Espresso coffee shop, so I know it exists..)
I finally picked up a box of Ginger Green Tea.

One guy tried to get me to buy Dragon Tea for 60 bux a pound. Yeah, right.

A girlfriend turned me onto Green Tea, but I stopped because :

A) Green Tea tastes horrible, and is only bearable when I add copious amounts of honey to it. And Im not particularly fond of honey, cept for the Orange Blossom varieties.
B) It has massive amounts of caffeine. Uh, Im trying to avoid that.

Then there is wine.

  • I hardly drink cept for the occasional bottle of beer.
  • Most wine Ive tried tastes horrible, frankly. I prefer it sweet or earthy.
    Otherwise, it all tastes like grape juice mixed with aromatics & turpentine. (Which most of it is, if you think about it, being cured in Oak barrels.)

    But i have tasted good wine. A girlfriend gave me a cheap bottle of Hardy's Australian Merlot that I liked. And Ive had strong spanish and chilean wine that was earthy and good.
    But the rest? Swill.

    But last night I had Chicken Marsala in wine sauce. Guh, they used cheap, nasty wine in the sauce.

    BUT.. I woke up and my blood sugar levels had gone down markedly.

    The alcoholics might be on to something.

  • No comments: