Friday, November 04, 2005

Dateline Honolulu

Day 5


I think Ive got the Hawaiian credo figured out:

"You're no better than me."

Wait, that's the East Coast way of saying it.. its more like "Youre no better than I am, so we can get along if you realize that."

Which is cool, cuz thats my credo too. I like the folk here. Cultural and class differences doesnt seem to come into play as harshly as it does on the mainland. In other words, I dont get the "Ahhh, Big Black Man" crap as much. Which is nice, thank you very much.

Being Jamaican, but living in the US for 25 years, I have different modes of communicating depending on who (whom?) Im communicating with. Normal US mode is my flat midwestern accent with a bit of a southern drawl. My black mode is basically a New York/Chicago fuck you/how ya doin mode. California mode has me saying 'right on' for more times than Im actually comfortable with, but it calms the passive aggressives down, so it works.
My Caribbean mode kicks in when Im relaxed around cool people, then I allow my jamaican/caribbean/british pidgin accent to kick in amongst the midwestern accent.
My Jamaican mode kicks in ONLY when Im talking to other Jamaicans or folk from the British West Indies. I do NOT speak speak patois to get over. In fact, I can only comfortably speak patois when Im relaxed.

Here in Hawaii, I find myself in Caribbean mode when Im around native hawaiians. Its very unconscious, and I find myself using pidgin speech patterns. And I like it.
--------------
"Im just here for a week."
"So, are you going to stay?"
"NO. Im fine where Im at. I like San Francisco."


The old lady at the bus stop gave then me a look like "You doth protest too much young man, youre going to live here."

Ive done my "Living in Paradise" bit in Florida. It's nice to be on vacation in paradise, but it gets old when the mundane kicks in. So no, I have NO intention of living in the middle of the pacific.

However ...

The plan has always been, have a homebase in Frisco and then live a few months in various places while I take pics and write.

So, a month or two at a time I can deal with, if I can work the financials.
------------
It's almost time to leave. But really, the only things on my little list I have not done is

- Gone to the Pearl Harbor memorial.
The prospect of having to go early and stand in line has put me off.

- Go to the North Shore.

Everyone tells me that up there (on the other end of the island) is the shitz, and I only have to jump on the CIrcle Isle bu, but eh. I'll see if I can do that on Sunday.
Prolly kick myself for not going earlier.

A Lua is also on my list, but Ive paid for one tomorrah.

I wouldnt mind staying a bit longer, but nah - a trip is sdatisfying when you have a time limit.

If only I didnt have to go back to work. Sheesh.

No comments: