Wednesday, February 14, 2001



I woke up surly, continuing my crappy mood from the night previous.

I had promised to celebrate St Val's Day previously, but.. eh.. ferk it..

Then I logged on.. and got a card from my Dear Pal Poo. Them Nova Scotians know how to warm up cold nights boyo...

Then G sent a card sent to her Mr Miyagi. *hee hee* Loved that. :-)

And when I signed onto AIM, I got even more love, local and long-distance.

Warmed, and not even likkered up, I decided to celebrate St Vals Day again and be the Honey-Tongued Dragon, as cyn calls me.. :-)

I hadda lotta fun sending out love to my much deserving valentines. :-)

And I had even more fun getting the appreciation riiiight back.

Whoo. *fan fan* :-)

Now, for this and other reasons later in the night.. this has been the best St Val's Day Ive had in years.

To top it off at the end of the night, I had a heart-shaped balloon float above my head, and then hovered.

It even said.. Air Jamaica.

I shit you not. I have that balloon as I type..

Who sez love aint powerful? :-)

-----------------------

The ferry shuddered violently as it slammed to an emergency all-stop - throwing me to the side.

The normally somnolent deck-hands were already stepping-to and sprinting to the rear of the giant ship as the loudspeakers blared out curt instructions....

Puzzled, we - the passengers - looked at each other, not believing what appeared to be happening.

The only reason a ferry will stop in the middle of the bay is if someone went overboard.

That is not good, as jumping off the ferry into New York Bay is a very efficient way to die.

And sure enough, that's what was happening.

I realized Ive become a New Yorker, when I muttered "Damned idjit is gonna make me late, because he gets f&$^%# suicidal on f*%%^#% Valentine's Day. Now Im gonna be f%^#$&% late.."

Hey, it wasnt just me feeling that way.

The procedure for a ferry jumper is for the boat to slow and circle the area looking for the inconsiderate idjit.

Spotlights scanning, this normally goes on for about an hour.

Oy vey.

As most veteran New Yorkers will tell you - if you really want to jump and die, dont do the bridges.
Thats for amatuers who want to survive.. painfully.. as it only takes minutes for NYPD Emergency Services to respond.

No, if you truly want to die.. jump into the middle of New York Bay from a giant Newhouse or Kennedy class ferry.

If the wash from the powerful propulsion doesnt pull you under, the cold and turbulent tidal currents in the Bay will finish you off very quickly.

And the NYPD boats, having to cover up to 6 miles, will get there in 20 minutes or more, too long to save you.

If they find you.

More often than not, the body is never found.

The ferry crew gave up right at 45 minutes, leaving the hunt to the Coast Guard and the NYPD boats.

Valentines Day .. man.

The truly surreal part of all that? I got an excuse slip from the Ferry Office for the delay caused by the man overboard.

Someone suggested I frame it.
-------------------------------------
Odd but true conversation I cant believe I was having with a stylish femme Id only just met outside the Astor Place Starbux late last night.
Setup: Two Venti Mochas in one night.

Me: Dammit, the line to the one bathroom is stacked 20 deep.
femme: Well, why not go over to KMart.. they have lovely facilities...
Me: Mmm.. never thought of that.
femme: You WANT to pee. Go over there.
Me: *squirm* True. Where is it in there?
femme: Ask them when you go there.
Me: Where the heck would it be.. there are three levels in that place.
femme: How the heck would I know. My friend was the one who used it and told me that was a good place with a bathroom.
Me: Id probably have to buy something.
femme: TELL them you are. Youre entitled.
Me: Hmm. *Squirm*


I ended up using the tried and true Starbux loo.. being careful not to touch anything, naturally....
---------------------
As the stylish femme said last night as we parted ways.. "That was about the best Valentine's night Ive had in years."

Yup, the suicidal Valentine's Day jumper aside - I would have to agree.

Even better, no chocolate or jewelry were harmed during the festivities.

No comments: