Friday, February 16, 2001


Stuff that I coulda caught on camera today, but didnt cause the camera is blotto...

>> A mile out on the bay, the ferry coming through the mist and rain to Manhattan, and what looked like a seagull floated in the wind across the bow...

Turned out to be a lonely heart-shaped mylar balloon.. a loose remnant of Val's Day.

Unbidden, the line from a Tex Avery cartoon came to mind:

"The joke's over, man."


>> The rarest of sights in downtown Brooklyn's Columbus Park, as Jules of NY and I strolled through the rain after a Starbux evening..

A 10-dollar bill on the ground.

This is the first time Ive ever found green money on the ground in New York.

New Yorkers are sharp eyed as hell, and if the rain hadnt plastered the bill to the ground - I absolutely guarantee somebody would have sprinted across the street to scoop up the money before I could get to it.

No, I am not joking.

>> Walking over the Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan, through the rain and drizzle.

Sublime.

With the wet weather, the bridge was bereft of the usual tourists, strollers and cyclists.

The bridge looked like a movie set, with footpath's streetlights lighting up the wet planks to a bedazzling light show, the mist covered skyline providing a softly glowing background.

I called Jules to tell her I shoulda turned back and borrowed a camera from her to capture all this.

She laughed, as she wouldve.....

But I just kept on walking in the soft drizzle, wondering how it would all look if it started snowing..

------------
I was gonna explain why I glowingly praised a married woman's breasts and she enjoyed it .. how another woman and I discussed spooning each other....and how I got into an intense discussion with another as to why doing it doggie style is the best pure position...

But yanno.. nah.

That's my business.
-----------
The other night, the stylish femme sized me up as we sat talking....

She said I didnt trust people, and kept my emotional distance.

Since this wasnt news to me, I kept my emotional distance. :-)

Yes, I do that.. and consciously with most folk.

I cannot trust most folks with my feelings.

It brings to mind, when the jealous ex-lover was trying to dissuade me from going out with the girl, asked me..

"Dont you want to be just her friend?"

I retorted "No. I already have enough friends."

She just stopped, speechless for the first time.

Thats exactly right.

Some folk subscribe to the theory that you cant have enough friends.

Nah. Im selective as to the folk I want as my friends. Those arent trivial choices.

The three things of topmost priority in my life are these:

1) Me, since I cant take of anyone if I dont take care of myself.
2) My family, as no one else will give shit when push comes to shove.
3) My friends, as I wont get anywhere in life without them.

Really, nothing else matters.

For my family - I will go to war.

Since I cant get anywhere without my friends, I regard their trust and loyalty as paramount.

They are not my family, however.

At a certain point, I cannot be as overly concerned about them.. as their lives are their business.

Therefore, I have to be picky about whom I should care deeply about.

So, yeah -in extremis, I keep my emotional distance to keep my sanity.
-----------------------


No comments: